This past weekend, the 29th annual Heroes Convention was held in Charlotte, North Carolina. I was lucky enough to attend, and boy am I tired of hoofing it. When I was not jibber jabbering to comic creators, and getting off the elevator on the wrong floor.  I DID snap some pictures, so take the jump Spoilerites to see what you missed!

From the multitude of very kind comic creators, to the traveling tour of original animation cels from “AKIRA”, Heroes Con 2011 didn’t disappoint. The minor gripes I had were with the $5 cost of Neal Adams signature, along with the badly placed tables of Darwyn Cooke, and Ed McGuinness. But the 2012 show (its 30th Anniversary) seems to be really shaping up, with such guests as Mike Mignola (who cancelled this year), I think it can out do this years. Until next time folks.

See you in the back issue bins.

Larry King

Larry King

It is hard being a King, especially when your first name is Larry. Well, not really. In Larry’s Kingdom the re-imagining “Battlestar Galactica” is superior, “The Wire” is the greatest crime show ever, and “ROM, Spaceknight” is the hero of the realm.

REVIEW: Green Lantern: Emerald Knights DVD

DC Relaunch: Prepare for the one, true, Batman

1. Navarre
    June 6, 2011 at 8:46 am — Reply

A Jack Sparrow? How inspired.

Deadpool looks great. Practically movie-ready.

I’m glad you got to attend, Larry. Looks like a lot of fun.

• June 6, 2011 at 9:00 am — Reply

Thanks. Yeah it was quite fun, many kind people, and fun costumes. The Deadpool was dead on, but Kick-Ass and Hit Girl were the best in my opinion.

2. TaZ
    June 6, 2011 at 8:50 am — Reply

I’m sorry my schedule wouldn’t allow me to attend since I’m not too far from Charlotte. (No, I’m not the chubby guy trying to be Wolverine, but the cigar would have been there had I gone. Glad to see the “Tar Heel” cosplay folks showed up!

• June 6, 2011 at 9:03 am — Reply

Maybe you can make it next year, and I could meet a fellow Spoilerite. Yeah the Logan/Wolverine was talking about the professor turning him into a 12 year old girl in pig tails if he lit up his cigar, so I just did a 180 and walked away.

3. Antonio Sanciolo
    June 6, 2011 at 10:20 am — Reply

Whilst Deadpool looks superb, I’m impressed with that Wasp outfit; simple but looks spot on!

• June 6, 2011 at 10:27 am — Reply

Yeah she was the Wasp in 2009 too, she hasn’t changed a bit. I think she’s a pro cosplayer, or a model or something.

• Navarre
        June 6, 2011 at 11:09 am — Reply

She should be both, uh-huh.

4. Ocho
    June 6, 2011 at 11:35 am — Reply

Is that Dr. Strange or Stan Lee in the ’70s?

• June 6, 2011 at 7:28 pm — Reply

I thought he looked more like David Lee Roth with a wig.

5. Yami
    June 6, 2011 at 12:40 pm — Reply

You got photos of both my Speedy and my Bucky! Awesome! :)

• Navarre
      June 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm — Reply

Both are good costumes, Yami. I really dig the Bucky pic. :-)

6. Frank
    June 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm — Reply

The doctor and nurse from the Twilight Zone episode look great. They have an eye for detail.

7. Lyn Powell
    June 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm — Reply

I loved the Wonder Woman and Zatanna was spot on also. The 501st were talking trash about the Jedi lion character. That was pretty rude because his costume was pretty creative.

• Lyn Powell
      June 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm — Reply

Well the Wonder Woman on Sunday…The Wonder Woman in these pics was a sweatheart tho

• superherospike
      June 8, 2011 at 6:40 am — Reply

May I ask when the 501st was being rude? I am the XO of the Carolina Garrison and was there on Friday and Saturday, and no one was talking trash about anyones costumes while i was around there.

• Lyn Powell
        June 8, 2011 at 10:33 am — Reply

On Saturday the lady playing Mara Jade made a comment..”I didn’t know Lions were in the Jedi”..while snickering…what about when you guys tried to keep another guy from wearing his Vader costume? If the comment about the Jedi was in good fun, I appologise

• superherospike
          June 9, 2011 at 7:11 am — Reply

None of our guys said anything to any one about not wearing their Vader costume, that isnt what we are about. I think you may have misunderstood what was being said, I know a guy asked about his Vader and getting into the group, which all Vader’s must be approved on a Legion level, not on a garrison level, and one of the guys from our group did mention that the Rubies Supreme is not an accepted costume. but as far as anyone wearing their own personal property to the con, by no means did anyone say that the person could not wear it.

• Lyn Powell
            June 9, 2011 at 10:26 pm — Reply

Well I heard what was said, no mistake here. I do thank you guys for the work you do for children tho. I have been envolved in cosplay for children in hospitals before, and kudos for the work you guys do.

8. Damascus
    June 12, 2011 at 5:50 pm — Reply

Yeah, I love Star Wars too but I get a little bored out of my mind when I see 20 stormtroopers, 7 Boba Fetts and like a dozen bland Jedi’s running around. On the other hand I will never pass a good looking Slave Leia without a little discreet gawking. I like originality so I tend to walk past most of the Stormtroopers (even though I would love to have one of their costumes), although in Ohio, they’ve always been super nice anytime we’ve ever been near and they’ve posed for some good pictures and stuff for my friends. Last year they did have a guy in a Vader helmet who was wearing a bathrobe, slippers and a cup of coffee, I’m guessing it was morning Vader or something more clever than I am.

I agree with Frank though, my God those Twilight Zone characters are brilliant and if they weren’t in a brightly lit room with other cosplayers I’d be chilled to my bones.