The first full on trailer for the upcoming Tomb Raider game has arrived.  The animation looks great, and the story works for me, but I know there are a lot of people who are up in arms over Lara’s new look, some of the retconning that is going on and more.

Armed with only the raw instincts and physical ability to push beyond the limits of human endurance, Tomb Raider delivers an intense and gritty story into the origins of Lara Croft and her ascent from a frightened young woman to a hardened survivor.

SNEAK PEEK: BOOM! Studios for June 08, 2011

RETRO REVIEW: Fantastic Four #51 (June 1966)

1. Brian D
    June 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm — Reply

I have a feeling they’re going to try and go the “Uncharted” route with this reboot. Even the most popular franchises need a fresh reboot sometimes. (ie: Batman, Spiderman, Hulk…)

• Pantsthemonkey
      June 6, 2011 at 10:45 am — Reply

I agree this looks very much like an Uncharted opening, which I think could be a very good thing. Nothing has ever really interested me in Tomb Raider until this preview. I still wanna see some gameplay, but if it looks even remotely like this vid, I’m in.

• June 6, 2011 at 10:45 am — Reply

I hope you’re right, cause Uncharted is awesome. Looks like their trying to take some of the cheesecake out of it too.

• Damascus
        June 12, 2011 at 4:32 pm — Reply

Considering Uncharted was pretty much a fresh take on Tomb Raider, I wouldn’t think it’d be odd to make a comparison of this new iteration with Uncharted. I think it looks brilliant, but like PantstheMonkey said, I’d like to see some gameplay. It could be another Dante’s Inferno, which wasn’t terrible, just a little misleading.

2. Allen
    June 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm — Reply

Hey, taking something light, fun and adventurous and turning it dark, violent and gritty is pretty much THE creative option right? I can’t wait to see them “reimagine” the Mario games! Gah…

• June 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm — Reply

I haven’t had much experience with the Tomb Raider series, but it never seemed very light-hearted to me. Granted it wasn’t built on its dark and gritty atmosphere, but between horrific alien monsters, mutations, viruses, ominous artifacts and a Lara who doesn’t show much in the way of scruples…

It seems to me like this game is trying to set up Lara as an inexperienced adventurer who’s going to have to stand up to impossible odds, rather than a stock protagonist in a cheap dark and gritty story.

Indiana Jones worked partly because it wasn’t afraid to hit its hero where it hurt, to really put him in danger. Uncharted uses the same technique to good effect and it looks like Tomb Raider will too. If they want to abuse young Lara a bit more to drive home the theme of “this is an unforgiving job”, so be it, it could be interesting.

• Allen
        June 6, 2011 at 9:28 am — Reply

Right: Whereas before she was just some rich kid who grew up to be a great adventurer( I think due to her dad or something?) and now she “earns” it by surviving being stranded on an island. I take no issue with the story part.

But all the grunting, drowning, bleeding, and screaming is definitely an amped up dark, gritty, violent delivery….which seems to be the only choice anyone makes in game design these days.

Lol….I have a 13 year old nephew who plays these things so I pay a little more attention these days.

• Damascus
          June 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm — Reply

There is a new Sly Cooper game coming out, so if you want a more lighthearted but (if it’s like its predecessor’s) a fantastic gaming experience look for games like that. Not everything coming out is dark and gritty but there are many game genres that invite it as a natural extension of what they already have going for them.

3. Ced
    June 5, 2011 at 9:25 pm — Reply

The survivor theme look interesting. I wonder if it will be part of the gameplay.

As for the character design Lara look kind of generic and a little bit boring. Maybe they could have given her more personnality.

• Damascus
      June 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm — Reply

I think she actually looks more real and not a completely bland ideal of some perfect woman. I like the way she looks better than her unrealistic look before this revamp.

4. Crash
    June 5, 2011 at 11:06 pm — Reply

Hmmm kind of reminds me of the Green Arrow Year One origin story. I’m interested.

5. Ian
    June 6, 2011 at 7:21 am — Reply

I think her boobs shrunk

• Damascus
      June 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm — Reply

I think that’s a good thing.

• Damascus
        June 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm — Reply

If you want some Jiggle Physics, buy a copy of Dead or Alive Volleyball. ;)