It’s been forever and a day since I picked up J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit, so my memory might be off, but I don’t remember Legolas appearing anywhere in the book.  That isn’t stopping Peter Jackson from bringing Orlando Bloom back for The Hobbit movie, currently in production in New Zealand.

Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas. I’m excited to announce today that we’ll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I’m thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older—and he doesn’t! I guess that’s why he makes such a wonderful elf.

via Peter Jackson

ART APPRECIATION MOMENT OF THE DAY: Ryan Ottley

HUMOR: A Toast to Green Lantern

1. May 30, 2011 at 9:29 am — Reply

If the premise is still the same as I remember it to be – one movie based on The Hobbit, and one movie based in between The Hobbit and LotR – then it’d make sense to see Legolas, based on his supposed involvement guarding Gollum in Mirkwood.

But if they bring him into The Hobbit movie proper – then *fail* on them.

2. Anna Williams
    May 30, 2011 at 11:08 am — Reply

The films are going to be The Hobbit split into two.
    But it makes sense to bring Legolas into the story because, as the son of King Thranduil, he was there, even if Tolkien had not yet invented him.

3. Schafe
    May 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm — Reply

Legolas is a prince of Mirkwood a setting in the Hobbit.

4. May 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm — Reply

The Hobbit being 2 films, based a book shorter than 300 pages, whereas LOTR films were based on books in the 450 page range and each film was over three hours.

Therefore, either the two films will be 1 1/2 hours each, or they will have to come up with some new material.

With the LOTR standard of 3+ hours per movie, I think The Hobbit could have easily been made into one movie. It is much less complex and has a much smaller cast and aimed at a younger audience.

I’m expecting the movies to be great, but I’m also expecting them to stray from the book quite a bit, to fill up the time.

5. SpiderLover
    May 30, 2011 at 5:26 pm — Reply

I’ll see it regardless because I love Tolkein

6. Mike Keller
    May 31, 2011 at 11:14 am — Reply

What Schafe said! Yeah If I remember right Legolas is King Thranduil’s son, but I’m not certain. It is one of the reasons Gimli is a little testy when he first meets the elves, since his father Gloin was held captive by Thranduil 60+ years before.