REVIEW: Speaker for the Dead #5

Major Spoilers Podcast #306: Epic Comic Events

1. TaZ
    May 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm — Reply

I didn’t think that version of Bats ever smiled.

• Steamblade
      May 28, 2011 at 9:07 pm — Reply

He’s smiling as he emerges from the Batmobile to fight the Mutant Leader.

2. Bill The Cat
    May 28, 2011 at 8:41 pm — Reply

Well, first of all, Taz, he isn’t smiling. Second, if you did read The Dark Knight Returns, you would know that he smiled when he was becoming Batman again (after the wolf howled) and at the end of the series. Thank you for playing…

• TaZ
      May 30, 2011 at 7:32 am — Reply

I did read The Dark Knight Returns. And the rest of that “series”. And last time I checked, if the corners of your mouth are turned up…it’s a smile. Joker would agree. (Insert Sean Connery voice here) “Curse you, Trebec!”

• Bill The Cat
        May 31, 2011 at 5:49 pm — Reply

I don’t see it as a smile. Considering the fact that he’s old and wrinkled, the artist could have went for a scowl with wrinkles around his lips. But, that’s the beauty of art. It’s open to interpretation ;) Now, about ol’ Bats smiling in The Dark Knight Returns….

3. May 29, 2011 at 1:07 am — Reply

Bill the Cat, play nice. I think it’s a wrinkly grin.

4. Damascus
    June 1, 2011 at 11:32 pm — Reply

Not that I really care one way or another, it could also be a grimace, but I don’t know the context of the frame either. I’d tell the kid to get offa my back cause my arthritis is acting up, hence the grimace (and no, not the big purple guy).