I’m not really sure we’re ready to return to the Planet of the Apes franchise, especially after sitting through the last Planet of the Apes movie.  But I’m not the decision maker on these kinds of things, which means Rise of the Planet of the Apes is shot, and ready for you to check out.

An origin story set in present day San Francisco, where man’s own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

TOYS: Art Asylum shows off X-Men: First Class Minimates

MOVIE: The Hobbit starts production

1. April 14, 2011 at 9:45 am — Reply

It looks like it might be good.

If you want to talk about ludicrous prequels, the original “Planet of the Apes” puts some of the “Star Wars” prequels to shame.

At the very least, this one looks better than “Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.”

2. junkmasterzero
    April 14, 2011 at 10:17 am — Reply

How does this work with Caesar leading the rebellion?

3. Ashen
    April 14, 2011 at 11:31 am — Reply

4. April 14, 2011 at 7:09 pm — Reply

Every part of me wants to say no to this, but that trailer was effing cool. The CGI looks great, and James Franco is a badass. Count me in!

5. April 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm — Reply

As a lifelong ‘Apes’ fan, I gotta say this looks pretty cool. This looks like it takes the right elements of the Apes mythos, expands on and reframes them. There was always a social commentary aspect in even the worst of the Apes films, and it looks like this movie will have some of that as well.

Hopefully it will wash the horrible taste of Burton’s 2001 film from my mouth.

6. TaZ
    April 14, 2011 at 8:10 pm — Reply

“Damn dirty apes!”

7. Norberg01
    April 14, 2011 at 10:26 pm — Reply

Okay. So if this is the second movie in a trilogy, the third one should have Kamandi in it, right?

8. Kirby
    April 15, 2011 at 7:34 am — Reply

Okay I’m interested.

But if humans are going to use brain drugs that boost intelligence, and give it to gorillas, we deserve to be the inferior species for being too dumb to live.

9. eric
    April 15, 2011 at 7:39 am — Reply

Hell this looks better and more lighter in tone than the Green Lantern movie. I want to see GL but damn can there be some light to it? I never knew OA to be so damn dark and foreboding.

10. Brainlock
    April 17, 2011 at 11:40 am — Reply

I thought I couldn’t care less about this film, but then saw the trailer before Scre4m.

I’m geeked now, and not just because it looks cool or because it features Brian Cox and SOCK!
    (yeah, that’s SOCK! in the freeze frame, big blond guy.)

11. April 17, 2011 at 5:33 pm — Reply

Yeah, it is cool that Tyler Labine is in this – didn’t see that coming.