In theaters today is the R-rated medieval comedy from the director of Pineapple Express.

Throughout history, tales of chivalry have burnished the legends of brave, handsome knights who rescue fair damsels, slay dragons and conquer evil. But behind many a hero is a good-for-nothing younger brother trying just to stay out of the way of those dragons, evil and trouble in general. Danny McBride and James Franco team up for an epic comedy adventure set in a fantastical world-Your Highness. As two princes on a daring mission to save their land, they must rescue the heir apparent’s fiancée before their kingdom is destroyed. Thadeous (McBride) has spent his life watching his perfect older brother Fabious (Franco) embark upon valiant journeys and win the hearts of his people. Tired of being passed over for adventure, adoration and the throne, he’s settled for a life of wizard’s weed, hard booze and easy maidens. But when Fabious’ bride-to-be, Belladonna (Zooey Deschanel), gets kidnapped by the evil wizard Leezar (Justin Theroux)

Yes, that’s right, R-rated with Natalie Portman in a thong.

Did you see it?  We want to know what you thought.  Did it hit all the comedy marks, or do you need to get baked before you can really appreciate what David Green and Danny McBride are blowing your way?

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

EISNER AWARDS 2011: Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees announced

VIDEO: Mortal Kombat: Legacy teaser

1. diagnull
    April 8, 2011 at 1:02 pm — Reply

Pass. If the “funny” guy who I guess is McBride were replaced or removed, and the horribly stale drug and sex references were taken out, maybe. In other words, if it was an ENTIRELY different movie, a serious sword and sorcery type movie with the remaining cast, I might want to see it.

As it is, the writing is so forced and hammy…no thanks.

Which is a shame since Portman actually looks kinda cool in this movie (thong or not)…much better than the Star Wars prequels.

2. Dasplow
    April 8, 2011 at 1:47 pm — Reply

This movie was great, the first thing you need to get out of your mind is that this movie is a satire. I’ve seen so many reviews (including the one earlier in this post) saying that its over the top, cheesy and not a serious movie, well its not supposed to be. Even the name of the movie is a pot reference. This movie is a modern take on the great satires of the 80’s and should be taken as such. I loved the mix of modern references with the medieval landscape and the larger than life situations they get in. Think Pineapple Express meets American Pie meets Hot Shots. If this doesn’t sound appealing to you then this is not the movie for you.

• Dasplow
      April 8, 2011 at 7:29 pm — Reply

Oops Guess I should proofread my reviews before posting them :), I meant to say that this movie is a satire and its not supposed to be a serious movie. No more reviews after long nights for me.

3. TheNewNum.2
    April 8, 2011 at 8:10 pm — Reply

I’m out too. The trailers make it look completely unappealing to me. I’m all for satire, but there’s a difference between Scream and Disaster Movie.

4. Johnny Velocity
    April 8, 2011 at 8:33 pm — Reply

I saw it and was disappointed. I was hoping for a modern-day version of Holy Grail, or even Robin Hood: Men In Tights, but it did not even have as many laughs as the latter of those. Watch the R-rated trailer, and imagine the rest of the movie yourself – you’ll probably magine a better movie. On the other hand, maybe I’m missing the point and you really do have to be high to enjoy it…

• Matthew
      April 9, 2011 at 3:41 am — Reply

*imagines natalie portman’s ass on screen for the majority of the film*

holy shit, this is the best movie ever.

• Mike
        April 11, 2011 at 12:29 am — Reply

*Looks at most of the negative to middling posts*

*Imagines Natalie Portman’s ass on screen for the majority of the film*

Yeah…gonna watch this one…

5. Brian Duff
    April 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm — Reply

If The Princess Bride and Pineapple Express had a child, this would be it. The bastard child of funny.

6. April 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm — Reply

I think if you get McBride’s humor you’ll love this film. If you’re a huge fan of Eastbound and Down like I am then you’ll dig this movie. And if you’re looking for Princess Bride or Scary Movie this isn’t the film for you.

The movie is far better than the trailers. There’s a lot of sex jokes and drug jokes so if that’s not your thing then don’t go. Like I said it’s basically Eastbound and Down but in the fantasy genre.

7. MacGuinness
    April 9, 2011 at 4:34 pm — Reply

I kept thinking this was just the imaginations of a couple stoners sitting around playing D&D. Better than the “D&D” movie, that’s for sure.

8. Joe
    April 11, 2011 at 1:14 am — Reply

As it’s been said before, if you dig McBride and Best’s work on Eastbound and Down, I think you’ll like it. It’s a lot of juvenile sexual and pot jokes. Not great, but pretty funny. As a nerd, it has me rethinking a lot of the scenarios I’ve played through in fantasy setting games. Several of the massively inappropriate jokes had me laughing for quite a while.

Yeah, I’m immature. And I can admit it.

All said and done, about three slices of meatloaf. If you don’t love McBride’s typical fare, steer clear. If you do, you should check it out at some point, though you may not run right out to the theaters to see it.