We knew actor Kevin Costner had been in talks and had been hired to be in Zack Snyder’s take on the Superman movie franchise, and today we get the confirmation that the thespian will play Jonathan Kent.

Snyder stated, “Jonathan Kent is the only father figure Clark has ever had, the man who was there to help Clark understand what he was meant to do in the world as Superman. Kevin will be able to communicate the quiet strength of this rural American man who raised the greatest super hero of all time.”

Henry Cavill will play Superman, Diane Lane will play Martha Kent, and now with Costner cast as the final member of the Kansas family unit, which now means we can focus on villains, Lois Lane, Jor-El, and the rest.

via Deadline

VIDEO: LegoLand Star Wars MiniLand built before your eyes

1. Kirby
    March 18, 2011 at 10:24 am — Reply

This should be good, but please do two things: 1) Don’t kill him. 2) Have Kal-El’s ship crash in a baseball field.

• Ashen
      March 18, 2011 at 1:01 pm — Reply

I agree. Please don’t kill off Pa Kent in the first movie. I didn’t like it that DC killed him off recently. John Bryne did it right by leaving him alive.

2. March 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm — Reply

While I generally have enjoyed the works of Kevin Costner and Diane Lane in the past I’m having a hard time envisioning them as a middle America farm couple from Kansas. When I was a kid I couldn’t imagine anyone else but Glenn Ford as Jonathan Kent. This was due in large part to having seen his other movies and the image I had made of him in my mind. When John Schneider took the part in Smallville, the country boy image leftover from Dukes of Hazzard allowed me to accept him as ‘Pa’ Kent.

The mental image I have of Costner and Lane is that of “city folk”. Maybe they can pull it off, but it will be hard for me to get over this preconception going into the film.

• March 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm — Reply

Watch Field of Dreams again, then age Costner 30 years, and you have Pa Kent.

• March 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm — Reply

Well Field of Dreams is my favorite Costner film and one of my favorite films of all time (yay, father issues), but to me Costner seemed like someone who had moved to the Iowa to be a farmer in that movie instead of someone who grew up on a farm.

I don’t know, it’s hard to explain and may just be my POV being skewed due to actually growing up on a farm in a farming community.

• March 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm — Reply

I grew up in a farming community and in the country, and I know where you are coming from, but I think Costner’s soft delivery and gentle reassuring smile, but the ability to step up when needed are what landed him the role. Your mileage may vary…