It’s been nearly 30 years since Blade Runner’s technical and cinematic achievements dazzled audiences, while at the same time confusing the heck out of them with the narrative. According to Variety, the movie is getting reborn in the form of prequel and/or a sequel.

“We’re at a very preliminary stage where we’re still formulating strategy as to whether we’ll hire a filmmaker or a writer first and whether we’ll do a prequel or a sequel,” Andrew Kosove said in response. “The one thing for sure is that neither Broderick Johnson or I will direct.”

There’s also no word on if, or how, Ridley Scott will be involved in the project.

If you haven’t seen, or were confused by the Blade Runner movie (or the numerous cuts released on VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray), you can easily catch up by reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? currently being serialized by BOOM! Studios. And if you want a brilliant behind the scenes look at the making of Blade Runner, check out Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner by Paul M. Sammon.

via Variety

REVIEW: Green Lantern #63

MOVIE: Diane Lane is Martha Kent

1. March 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm — Reply

“Blade Runner” shaped me into who I am today. I am hard pressed to think that a sequel/prequel to the movie will add anything to the mythos of the movie, since the book and movie are two diffrent animals.

Until I see a trailer for whatever comes of this, I will put this on the back burner.

Also, the comic adaptation of “DADOES?” is too dense for me, as are all PK Dick novels I have tried to read, I can’t wrap my brain around his writing, I like my PKD concepts to be watered down.

2. Space Cadet Juan
    March 3, 2011 at 3:08 am — Reply

I second Stephen’s recommend on the Sammon book, it is super informative. Also the various commentaries and featurettes on the 5-disc bluray uber-release are very illuminating, as well.

Not particularly excited about new movies, though. Leave well enough alone, puh-lease.

3. Blackthunder01
    March 3, 2011 at 7:17 am — Reply

This falls into line with my Robocop comments. I think the biggest problems I’m having lately is that they’re chosing to Reboot or Sequel/Prequel movies that were made around the time I was born. That’s way too early for a reboot and way too late for a sequel/prequel.

4. Ricco
    March 3, 2011 at 7:48 am — Reply

This better be a master piece, Blade Runner is a sci-fi classic.

• Damascus
      April 22, 2011 at 1:04 am — Reply

That didn’t make a lick of sense to me.

5. March 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm — Reply

DO NOT WANT!

6. March 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm — Reply

Yeah. With LK on PKD. DADOES only gives you a slight idea of what was in the movie. The novel was NOT a noir detective story, but a dense philosophical/psychological treatise (like most of PKD’s books) on humanity.

The movie was much more enjoyable. Don’t know why you’d do a sequel now, though.

• Damascus
      April 22, 2011 at 1:07 am — Reply

Probably because if you ask almost anyone you know who isn’t heavy into our particular corner of pop culture, they’ll probably look at you confused having no idea what a Blade Runner is. Especially people who were born near when it came out. I only finally watched the movie a few years ago and I love movies and have a ton of them. For sci-fi fans, it’s a big deal, but to the general populace, I doubt many know much about it. It’s probably the same now as asking younger people to explain Logan’s Run, or sadly enough even Planet of the Apes, although some might recall that movie with Mark Wahlberg.

7. Generik
    March 4, 2011 at 2:49 pm — Reply

I read DADOES a few years back.. overall I liked it but it’s a very different animal than Blade Runner and as already mentioned, dense. I’m kind of intrigued by the concept of a prequel or sequel but more concerned about mishandling tarnishing the perception of the original.

As an aside, anyone remember reports when the Stallone Judge Dredd movie was made that there was interest in re-using the set of Megacity One for a Blade Runner sequel?