DC Comics has announced that Static Shock will finally return to his own book this spring thanks to writer Felicia Henderson and artists Scott McDaniel and Jonathan Glapion.

I always had my fingers crossed about Static getting his own book, again.  In fact, I stalked Dan DiDio about the idea.  I’m also a big Dwayne McDuffie fan, and if I could choose my real life little brother, he’d be Static!  I love his relationship with his family, particularly with his sister. It feels very grounded and real to me. I love how much he cares about Dakota and that he’s a typical guy in a lot of ways. And nothing’s more fun to write than raging hormones, a dedication to doing the right thing for the right reasons, all while still trying to figure out who you are and what you really want.

Good news for Dwayne McDuffie fans.  How many Spoilerites are putting this on their pull lists?

via The Source

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

Image Comics announces Blue Estate

Hack/Slash - Eva Crossover arrives in May

1. Kareem
    February 11, 2011 at 1:09 pm — Reply

I was excited until I heard about the writer. Felicia Henderson? Yeah…. no.

2. BallsMonkey
    February 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm — Reply

Not as long as Felicia Henderson is on this book.

3. February 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm — Reply

I’m willing to give it a shot, but I’m likewise worried. Of course, the only thing I’ve read Ms. Henderson write was Teen Titans, which had a lot of strikes against it already, so we shall see…

4. TaZ
    February 11, 2011 at 4:21 pm — Reply

I would like to see this character come into his own as a major player in the DCU. It was refreshing to see a minority character that wasn’t 1) a complete stereotype, 2) not an “anti-hero” or 3) a “remake/reboot” of an earlier white character (…cough…ultimate Nick Fury…cough). I don’t know anything about Henderson’s writing since I wasn’t following Teen Titans through her tenure there but the reviews both here and at some other sites weren’t very charitable to say the least. His past history separates him from being a “junior Black Lightning” and I think his character would interact well as a part-time member of the JLA (since his strong connections to his home-town would make it hard to see him spend so much time with a group) rather than a younger group like the Teen Titans.

• mosdef
      February 11, 2011 at 7:44 pm — Reply

well 1 is kind of a stereotype. he’s a african american character with lightning powers…0_o

5. Brent
    February 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm — Reply

Aside from good writing and good art, I’d need two things to pique my interest:

– A wardrobe change. The trench coat and sunglasses on the forehead reek of the Liefield 90’s.

– Now that Dakota is part of the DCU proper, Static needs further redefining in relation to (and perhaps more interaction with) Black Lightning. I know they recently compared notes on the subtle differences in their powers (in a Teen Titans issue, I believe). But for me. Static’s “ambient electricity” deal is not very engrossing. He needs to be more than a teen Black Lightning.

A somewhat permanent relationship with B.L. will spark larger interest in Static Shock and and add dimensions to both characters. Not that it should be a “sidekick” deal, but for several reasons, these two should interested in each other.

For example, Black Lightning has a teenage daughter (Lightning of the JSA)…Static has raging hormones…a story arc involving all three could be fun. The ‘help me save the world, but you still can’t date my daughter’ angle is a treasure trove.

6. Russell Catt
    February 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm — Reply

I was a very big fan of the WB cartoon and it lead me to the Static comics.
    I found the original comics run to be very cool and look forward to how the character will develop in the full DCU.

Welcome back, Static. I’ve missed you.

7. Ian
    February 11, 2011 at 10:16 pm — Reply

– A wardrobe change. The trench coat and sunglasses on the forehead reek of the Liefield 90′s.

Seriously. Please no more forehead goggles.