Art Appreciation Moment of the Day: Jeff Smith

DIGITAL COMICS: Diamond and iVerse team in deal for comic shops

1. February 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm — Reply

I’m pretty sure that he’s using ‘iPad’ for any tablet style reader in the same sense that people use ‘iPod’ to refer to any MP3 player

2. Splicer261
    February 9, 2011 at 1:11 pm — Reply

The thing is..eventually everyone will have a tablet.

I can see tablets ending up being so cheap and a valuable product for reading books and newspapers. Taking this into consideration, motion comics can get an enormous boost via the technology.

I don’t see a current need for say an iPad, it is expensive, but man..everytime i read a web comics i so wish i had an ipad..i don’t see a laptop perfect for it, whereas an iPad or tablet is perfect

Light and just something that you can use anywhere, laying down, sitting down or even while walking.. Another market is mobile phones, i do like reading comics on my iphone..more and more phones are emulating this approach, big touch screens.

Comics can emerge in this market too, especially as motion comics with audio and animation..nothing over the top, just the middle ground between a static comic and an animated video.

Publishers should recognise this, a new generation is growing up where comics aren’t just confined to the dorm of a geek anymore. They are part of our entertainment culture, alongside movies, music, video games..comics are becoming the ‘norm’

• February 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm — Reply

Again, it’s another option. No one is forced to read comics on an iPad. He really has no point here.

And it’s hardly a mono task device. Not sure where thats coming from.

3. February 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm — Reply

That’s why, Warren, it’s an *option*. ;)

4. February 10, 2011 at 6:11 am — Reply

For the first time in my life, I want to pat Ellis on the back. Not everyone wants some monotasking reading device.

5. GrandHarrier
    February 11, 2011 at 7:29 am — Reply

Don’t understand this push towards Digital Comics. I *like* actually having something in my hand that has value. Digital media has no value at all.

• February 11, 2011 at 7:33 am — Reply

Tell that to the music and movie biz…

Digital media is the music biz at this point. Very few buy music in hardcopy.

6. Belmont
    February 18, 2011 at 2:46 am — Reply

Sorry just like the Newspaper I still read that goes the same for my comics. For me I don’t need another device,(IPAD, Kindle, etc) to further my eye strain. I still get CD’s as well better to have the physical copy then have your device crash then you’re left with picking up a new device and having to either have someone rescue your info or you would have to repurchase what you had lost……