Empire magazine has revealed the cover to their most recent issue that features Captain America on the cover.

The issue also goes into detail as to why the entire movie is set during World War II, instead of the split past/present idea that was tossed around in the early stages of development.

“Scripts had been developed that took place half in World War Two, half in the modern day and none of those scripts were particularly successful because the costume ended up overshadowing the man,” says Marvel chief Kevin Feige. “So we finally said, ‘If we could make a Captain America movie any way we wanted to make it, how would we make it?’ Well, we’d set the entire movie in the past, in that period, with all of the Marvel trimmings. And so we made the fun, kick-ass Captain America movie we wanted to.”

Empire magazine arrives in stores on February 3, 2011. Captain America, the movie, arrives July 22, 2011.

via Empire

DC Comics Sneak Peek: Flash #9

Art Appreciation Moment of the Day: William Dunn

1. Sebastian
    January 31, 2011 at 12:31 pm — Reply

looks believable. I have high hopes for this movie!

2. Aubreii
    January 31, 2011 at 12:42 pm — Reply

3. Grotesk
    January 31, 2011 at 1:09 pm — Reply

Hmm.. And here I’d been thinking the costume above was going to be the modern version. Well, then in Avengers there’s the possibility we’ll see an entirely new costume design. Maybe something Tony Stark helps design. With, y’know.. Chainmail.
    Also, maybe 65 years on ice lightens his hair just a bit.
    (Not that I’m nitpicking. Just sort of swatting at nits, really.)

4. seneca
    January 31, 2011 at 1:25 pm — Reply

Why does he have the ‘Blue Steel’ look?

5. Navarre
    January 31, 2011 at 1:34 pm — Reply

I’m curious why they didn’t go for the blond crew cut. Beyond any nitpicking over authenticity, I am sure it was considered and yet this was the final choice.

I wonder if it is because the U.S. is more racially homogeneous than in the past and they felt the brown hair made him a bit more accessible to a more racially diverse group of people.

I think that’s it. I don’t think of Steve as anything other than blond but I can understand and respect their reasoning if I am correct.

Also, kind of wish the star was left prominent and not partially covered by a leather strap. … That part is nitpicking.

6. chillidawg72
    January 31, 2011 at 1:36 pm — Reply

My only complaint is that too often do masked superheros in movies rip off or lose their masks. The masks are part of the costume, but the actors that portray them seem to have a need to show their face for a certain percentage of the film. the Spider-Man films suffered from this greatly. In this case, I can understand it more, because Stevie doesn’t have a “secret identity” so-to-speak. Still it just irks me to see the iconic look of the costumes compromised like this.

It’s still a great take on the costume though.

• seneca
      January 31, 2011 at 3:03 pm — Reply

It is hard to get a lot of acting out of a guy in a mask, just look at any scene where the original goblin and spiderman were having a conversation and it was obvious these were stunt guys in costumes while the real actors did voice overs. Norman was far scarier without the mask.

7. Splicer261
    February 1, 2011 at 6:19 am — Reply

More excited about Captain American than the Thor Movie..this is going to be epic.

I hope the movie is influenced by Ultimate Cap..he’s such a badass, Cap never questions his role, he chose this life and he kicks ass.

He’s a soldier and darn good one, don’t change that Marvel!

8. TaZ
    February 1, 2011 at 10:54 am — Reply

Great idea to leave the “frozen in ice” thing for the Avengers Movie. I’m looking forward to it, although the lack of a “Bucky” character does tend to have the character being more of the Ultimate Captain America than the “regular” Marvel U Cap.

• Damascus
      March 31, 2011 at 1:29 am — Reply

Do you imagine the movie will end with him falling in the ocean and then maybe having a scene play after the credits with Stark or Fury on a boat and some underling sayings something like “Sir, I think we’ve found him.” And either fade to black or show a flash of red, white and blue through the ice and then fade out?