Marvel Comics sent Major Spoilers a sneak peek of Fantastic Four #588, that arrives in stores February 23, 2011.

“The reaction from fans and retailers to Fantastic Four #587 was overwhelming and we’re excited to show fans, who have been chomping at the bit, to see what’s next!” exclaims SVP of Sales, David Gabriel. “It may be the end of the series, but it’s the beginning of something much bigger.”

FANTASTIC FOUR #588 (DEC100592)
Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Penciled by NICK DRAGOTTA & MARK BROOKS
Cover by ALAN DAVIS

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at the FINAL issue of the long-standing series, guest starring all your favorite Marvel heroes! But the story isn’t over yet because where one door closes, another opens. It’s now up to Reed, Sue, and Ben to make life-changing decisions of their own volition that set them on a course destined to change the Marvel Universe in Johnny’s honor!

The FINAL issue of Fantastic Four has a cover price of $3.99.

via Marvel

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

DC Comics Sneak Peek: Gotham City Sirens #19

FLASHPOINT: DC event to span 47 issues (at least)

1. January 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm — Reply

Of course Spider-Man checked in and told Sue he was planning on taking Franklin for a hot dog. He didn’t just show up and take of with a child.

• January 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm — Reply

I’m sure Franklin also told mom that he was going to sit on the edge of a skyscraper in his sad state of mind.

2. diagnull
    January 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm — Reply

Not sure why I think so, but *this* is what Spidey is great for. Very few other heroes can relate to kids believably.

For example, the old issue where he meets the terminally ill kid and reveals his identity. That wouldn’t work with many heroes beyond Spidey. Superman could do it. Maybe Captain America. The Flash possibly. But most other heroes just don’t have the right mood.

So, what I’m saying is, this makes me want to read it for Spidey…not so much for the FF though…

• JacinB
      January 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm — Reply

Exactly.

I read this and I thought, “That is Spider-man.” Haven’t been reading his regular title lately (or since OMD), but they really nailed what I love about his character right there.

I may pick it up just for that.

3. TaZ
    January 28, 2011 at 2:07 pm — Reply

The art on Spiderman in this “peek” is incredible. He looks like the “real” Spiderman classic appearance. Not bulked but not emaciated looking (like the poor hungry kid in the new movie) or almost a midget like Ultimate Spiderman.

Spiderman has been almost the constant “fifth” person in the Richards/Storm family for the longest other than Alicia Masters. Very appropriate that it’s him that interacts with Franklin (who’s always looked like Johnny) in this issue.

My hope is that the writers don’t go too “gloom and doom” on the remaining three members in the new series. Yes, it would be realistic to have a proper time of grief and angst but with acceptance should come a desire to do SOMETHING beneficial in the memory of Johnny Storm. To have Reed go psycho, Ben completely abandon his desire to be “human” and Sue to turn into Donna Troy would not make for an interesting read for me.

4. RobCooper22
    January 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm — Reply

Awww.. Uncle Spidey. Also, he totally just kidnapped that boy!

5. Dave
    January 31, 2011 at 9:34 pm — Reply

I was kinda digging this run…but when I heard it would lead to the “death” of a member, I just said, ‘Screw it’ and dropped it from my pull list. He’s not going to stay dead. Issue 600 is around the corner. No matter what Marvel says of there’s no next issue and he’s dead, it all just sounds like the teacher from Peanuts: “Mah wah, wah mah wah.”

It’s all bullshit. And at 41 years old, I’m sick of it.

• Damascus
      March 30, 2011 at 5:09 am — Reply

Well, I’m sad to see you leaving comics for good then, cause this kind of thing isn’t done happening. For one, they apparently didn’t show us Johnny’s death definitively and who cares if he comes back. We should just have the Terrific Trio for the next 50 years? If his death made for an impactful story then good and we’ll see the guy back in less than a year.