According to the LA Times, Warner Bros as announced that Anne Hathaway will play Selina Kyle in the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight Rises movie.

In a statement, Nolan said, “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story.”

The other casting news is that Tom Hardy will play Bane, the man who broke Batman. The announcement pretty much quashes the theory that Legends of the Dark Knight: Prey would be story adapted for the big screen.

via LA Times

DC Comics Sneak Peek: Justice League of America #53

Marvel Sneak Peek: New Mutants #22

1. Blackthunder01
    January 19, 2011 at 12:01 pm — Reply

So Hugo Strange is going to create Bane? Can’t Bane ever be done justice as a big bad guy instead of a Frankenstein Monster set loose to kill the Bat?

Anne is very beautiful but I’m not sure if I like her as Catwoman. Nolan surprised me with Ledger so I will let him wow me again instead of voicing disapporval.

2. Roosterj
    January 19, 2011 at 12:05 pm — Reply

If I didn’t trust Noland, I’d be fairly bothered by this. Bane is hard to pull off (See Batman and Robin)and Hathaway just hasn’t impressed me with many of her roles.

• tea
      January 19, 2011 at 12:20 pm — Reply

I agree about trusting Noland. But I am shocked that he will be Bane.

O well. Hardy will pull it off and bring a lot to the character.

3. litanyofthieves
    January 19, 2011 at 12:07 pm — Reply

I am definitely excited for Hardy, he is a versatile and charismatic performer. My only wonder is if Bane will remain Hispanic in this movie and if Hardy can pull that off.

Anne Hathaway wouldn’t be my first choice, but after seeing her in Havoc I think she can do it. She definitely can do sultry and slinky, even though most of her career has been spent playing girl next door types.

• Brent
      January 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm — Reply

Exactly. Anne always had the chops to play Selina, and now she has the body (she’s a lot slimmer than she used to be). I think she can pull it off…especially if Nolan goes for the “wounded” girl angle.

“Havoc” proved Anne can do more than Princess roles. I haven’t seen her latest movie with Jake G (I won’t attempt to spell his name), but apparently all the copulation in it further distanced her from “good girl” territory.

I’m just glad Catwoman is in the trilogy in some form. Being a Nolan film, she may not go full MEOW, though.

• brenton8090
      January 19, 2011 at 4:56 pm — Reply

Bane isn’t Hispanic in comics either- he’s blonde. He merely grew up in a Mexican prison.

4. JacinB
    January 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm — Reply

Important note: They said flat out Hardy would be Bane. They said that Hathaway would be Selina Kyle, but that doesn’t presuppose that Selina Kyle will ever be on screen as Catwoman.

• Blackthunder01
      January 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm — Reply

Wow … your right. I think I may like the idea of Selina Kyle more than I like Catwoman.

And is it just me or is anyone else a little disappointed that Bane isn’t being played by a Latin actor?

• Alisha Mynx
        January 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm — Reply

As long as Bane isn’t a skinny guy who turns massive like in the last movie he was in, I think I’m gonna be pretty content. That movie was just awful all over.

• brenton8090
        January 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm — Reply

Bane isn’t Hispanic in comics at all- he’s blonde. Check it out. He merely grew up in a Mexican prison.

• Blackthunder01
          January 20, 2011 at 7:20 am — Reply

Actually, Bane is from Caribbean Republic of Santa Prisca; not Mexico. And his father and mother were both natives to the island. Bane’s Latin American.

5. OttawaJanus
    January 19, 2011 at 1:37 pm — Reply

Time to go back and re-read some Knightfall and Knightquest. I seem to recall that Bane insists that she be his woman somewhere in those stories, after failing to make it with a pile of hookers cause of the Venom side-effects. I am excited about the potential storyline here and I am happy with the casting. Anne Hathaway always give 100% to roles; I have no doubt she’ll bring ‘it’ to Catwoman as well.

6. justanothergeek
    January 19, 2011 at 2:29 pm — Reply

7. J Michael T
    January 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm — Reply

Hey, I was surprised by how sexy she could be when I saw her on ‘Get Smart’ playing Agent 99. She’s all growed up :-) Not a bad choice IMHO.

8. hectorbustnuts
    January 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm — Reply

Awesome. Just awesome.

I love Anne Hathaway, a gorgeous woman who has acting chops like no one’s business.

Tom Hardy as Bane will be interesting.

I’m now REALLY amped for “Dark Knight Rises”.

9. Ricco
    January 19, 2011 at 4:18 pm — Reply

After seen the pics of Tom Hardy bulked up in Bronson I can see him as Bane, but how cool would it be to see Brock Lesnar break Christian Bale back while screaming “Instead, I will simply BREAK YOU!” ;-)

10. brenton8090
    January 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm — Reply

BOOM! Go back and read my comments on the Dark Knight stuff, b/c I CALLED this. I’ve been saying for a while that the villain that makes the most sense and has the most potential in the Nolan-Style realism universe of Batman has to be Bane. Expect him to be an intelligent criminal, not a doped-up super villain. And Hardy shows that his line of thought follows this pattern: Pick an actor who can play intelligent, heartless, and ruthless, trying to beat Batman’s game on a physical and intellectual level. I’ll even go a step further and say that Bane will find his way to ineract with Bruce in high society, as well as with Batman in the streets. So I would expect to see Bane in a tuxedo, as well as a luchadore mask. Although, with Hardy, they might lose the mask entirely.
    But the basic plot of Knightfall will be there, I bet. And with the note the last movie ended on, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bane trying to be “The hero gotham wants” and dethrone Batman, who is “the hero they deserve.”
    My script? Bane would free all the prisoners from Arkham to wear down Batman, as well as to capture them himself, gaining fame and popularity before bringing down the Bat.

11. kunderemp
    January 19, 2011 at 11:01 pm — Reply

will Anne Hathaway play Selina Kyle or Catwoman or both?
    Personally, I’m excited.
    I hope the Catwoman will be ‘The Cat’ as the first appearance in comics. No tight costume at all.

12. @lantis
    January 20, 2011 at 12:08 am — Reply

No problem with casting choices at all. I saw Hathaway as more of a Vicki Vale than anything else, but Selina Kyle isn’t bad either.

I am disappointed that Bane is the villain. I really have never felt he was a great antagonist for Batman. I suspect there is more to come though since Nolan has been using two villains in each movie and Bane may be just a pawn in a larger game.

13. January 20, 2011 at 6:23 am — Reply

Sigh… I just didn’t want to se Catwoman. Not yet anyway.

• @lantis
      January 21, 2011 at 12:18 am — Reply

Not yet? Considering this is Nolan’s last Batman movie there is no later for Catwoman to make an appearance in. It is now or never.

14. January 20, 2011 at 9:38 am — Reply

“Not yet?” It’ll have been twenty years since BATMAN RETURNS when this movie finally comes out. How long do we need to wait between villain iterations?