Diamond Retailer Summit headed back to Chicago

Sneak Peek: All-Star Superman

1. January 13, 2011 at 3:26 pm — Reply

As with the previous portrayal & this reboot, The Captain wonders where a high school student comes up with these high-tech looking uniforms. Does Parker have a deal with Wayne Tech or has Paul Gambi [http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/gambi.html] gone legit?

• silvergray
      January 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm — Reply

Simple: The first person he saves is a HOLLYWOOD COSTUME DESIGNER.

2. JacinB
    January 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm — Reply

It’s good. Very much an Ultimate Spider-Man feel to it (including the backpack) and he seems to have the build for it (moreso that Tobey, anyway), but … isn’t he supposed to have made the costume himself? How’d he stitch this thing up?

Also of note: There’s bulk in his wrists and what appears to be some sort of bump that may indicate that the webshooters are less the previous movie organic variety and more ‘built at home’ variety. I approve.

3. justanothergeek
    January 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm — Reply

Lo the nerdrage commence.

4. Antonio Sanciolo
    January 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm — Reply

i, for one, am really excited by this image. His body shape is perfect for the role and this suit is no less DIY than the previous films’ suits. I reckon anyone who can build low profile, portable, wrist mounted web shooters, can either knock up a decent outfit or at least create a machine/process that facilitates one.

5. seneca
    January 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm — Reply

At least the suit doesnt have the cheesey silver strands on it, they made the costume look good for 5 minutes.

6. TaZ
    January 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm — Reply

Why do I keep waiting for this kid to say “I’m Kickass!”? Kudos on the costume but that poor actor is in desperate need of some protein shakes and a couple of sandwiches. Yeah, I know that the powers come from a radioative spider but this guy is pure anemic.

7. Brian Duff
    January 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm — Reply

If they make the movie turn out good, I’ll be satiated by the fact that Toby McGuire will have been the “Michael Keaton” of the Spiderman series. But I doubt he’ll be of the caliber of a Christian Bale/Chistopher Nolan level of reboot.

8. brenton8090
    January 14, 2011 at 6:17 am — Reply

OMG PIPING
    AND TEXTURE

But where are the pockets and straps? Tsk tsk Hollywood. Where are the pockets and straps.

I was far too struck by the “hey look a movie superhero costume” And didn’t even get to “oh hey cool it’s Spider-Man.” But it will probably be an okay movie.
    I’m just sad that SONY is rushing this one out so that they can retain the rights. You know it won’t be as good as one done by Marvel and Disney in canon with the Avengers films.

9. brenton8090
    January 14, 2011 at 6:18 am — Reply

Also, I don’t get all this talk about Build and Body Shape.
    Is “skinny kid” really that hard to do? Cause if so, call me Spider-Man

10. Armaan
    January 14, 2011 at 7:36 am — Reply

I’m not sold on Peter.But I really, really love that costume. What’s it made out of?

11. litanyofthieves
    January 14, 2011 at 10:29 am — Reply

Oh dear lord, please tell me we’re not on this mechanical vs. organic webshooter nonsense still?

As to the costume issue, I don’t understand why we’re questioning the realism of a teenage Peter making his suit in the movie when we’ve never questioned how a teenage Peter did it in the comics?

• January 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm — Reply

Peter’s comic costume is a silk-screened leotard.

This is a full-body plastic/latex monstrosity glued on by fifteen makeup artists. Hell, Tobey’s mask was clearly destroyed every time he took it off on-screen…

• litanyofthieves
        January 17, 2011 at 10:16 am — Reply

Yet, as Antonio pointed out, he can concoct his own web fluid and shooters with no problem?

I don’t see how judging this single image of Spiderman is any different than judging the “plastic-looking” Thor costume picture that came out a few months earlier.

12. Thenewnumber2
    January 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm — Reply

Looks much better than I thought he would from the casting announcement. He looked older then, but I’ll take this. Though I do want to see him in a pic or two as Peter as well.