Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

Dynamite Entertainment Sneak Peek of the Week

Major Spoilers Podcast #269: The Best and Worst of 2010

1. Slappy
    January 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm — Reply

George Lucas will always be a genius to me because he used my the sexy & supple in the prime of her career Bea Arthur in the Star Wars Christmas Special. With the exception of her scene, the rest sucked.

• JacinB
      January 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm — Reply

You just used “sexy and supple” to describe Bea Arthur. Were I moderator, you’d be banned from further commenting for creating squicky, unwanted mental images.

• Slappy
        January 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm — Reply

Just picture her long legs in a black fishnet catsuit holding a whip and you will realize I am right.

• Blackthunder01
          January 4, 2011 at 2:28 pm — Reply

Bea is the reason they created the word Fap.

2. diagnull
    January 4, 2011 at 2:19 pm — Reply

Robot Chicken? Family Guy? You left out the grand-daddy of the all: Hardware Wars. These other shows are just pale imitations compared to a space waffle iron blowing up a basketball.

3. Blackthunder01
    January 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm — Reply

This is a tough one. I never cared for the Family Guy spoof personally so that’s instantly gone. George Lucas or Robot Chicken? Hmmm … I’m sure when throwing Lucas into the mix for parody, you’re referring to Episodes 1-3 (and perhaps the Christmas Special). There is something to be said for the fact that he’s the creator and the CG and Action of Episodes 2 and 3. But then again, Robot Chicken not only makes me laugh but they are still churning out Star Wars parody shows. (I just saw the trailer for up coming one. It looks funny as hell!)

I’m going to have to pick Robot Chicken because it gave me such great lines as “Now get your seven-foot-two asthmatic ass back here, or I’m going to tell everyone what a whiny bitch you were about Padama-may or Panda Bear or whatever the hell her name is!… Oh, jeeze. He’s crying.”

• Alisha Mynx
      January 4, 2011 at 3:30 pm — Reply

The FG Star Wars are good, but only if you’re a fan of FG to begin with. But the Robot Chicken ones are just hilarious on their own, much like the line you pointed out. I know people who dislike Robot Chicken yet still love the Star Wars specials.

• Blackthunder01
        January 5, 2011 at 6:38 am — Reply

I’m sort of a fan of FG. For the most part I am but every once in a while they kind of suck. Their Star Wars stuff falls into the “they kind of suck” area for me.

4. slacker
    January 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm — Reply

After watching all the Plinkett Reviews at Red Letter Media, I realize that George Lucas is definitely the best Star Wars.

5. Ricco
    January 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm — Reply

The answer is obviously Spaceballs, with Family Guy and Robot Chicken as close seconds. Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were horrible Star Wars parodies.

• Matthew
      January 4, 2011 at 5:42 pm — Reply

spaceballs. 100% hands down. -10 internets to major spoilers for not including it in this poll.

• Lord_Siviith
        January 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm — Reply

Well Matthew I agree 100% with you on Spaceballs. And President Scroob Said To “Comb The Desert”.

• Frank
          January 5, 2011 at 8:45 am — Reply

Shortly followed by “We Ain’t found ****”

6. TaZ
    January 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm — Reply

The Family Guy version is better because of the “Robot Chicken” exchange between Peter and Chris at the end.

7. January 4, 2011 at 5:39 pm — Reply

I love how you used a picture of an Ewok for Lucas…

• JacinB
      January 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm — Reply

It’s not like he has a choice in being that hairy. If George didn’t grow that beard, his head would have no way of delineating itself from his neck.

8. January 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm — Reply

With prequel movies and the video abortion known as the Life Day Special, Lucas proved he was the master of Parody of the beloved Trilogy.

9. January 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm — Reply

George Lucas’s writing is now a form of “Adam Westing” as the TVTropes crowd says.

10. Adam
    January 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm — Reply

This poll makes me sad, because I can’t choose between Family Guy and Robot Chicken. But having George Lucas on the poll is just too true. *sniff* Stupid George Lucas….

11. Nordberg
    January 5, 2011 at 6:44 am — Reply

George Lucas is out because what he did was not parody. It was travesty. The Family Guy episodes, although funny, feel more like a tribute than a parody with the line-by-line (and what feels like frame-by-frame) recreations of some scenes. Robot Chicken wins in my opinion because of the messed-up one-off feeling that you get from seeing your favorite characters get taken out of context for a few seconds (ie: The cantina scene turning into an after-work-drink-tragedy for a now one-armed architect, or Luke talking life with Darth Vader during the Cloud City battle and ending with “You know, if you’re not going to take this seriously…” and walking away).

12. applejack1310
    January 5, 2011 at 8:04 am — Reply

Lucas is not parody, he’s actually TRYING. Sad. Family Guy is unfunny. Parodies are supposed to be funny, so FG is out. Robot Chicken is your winner. Hands down. The most recent SW special had the wonderful scene of Luke seeing the one-armed wampa at a gas station and watching him fumble with his one working hand to fill up his “car.” So effing funny.