Expect to see a lot of Green Lantern toys on the store shelves as the movie draws ever closer.  Mattel is showing off the new Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern figure (over at Daily Blam) and it doesn’t look terrible.

At least they didn’t simply rip the head off the DCUC Green Lantern, give it a paint job, and pop a Reynolds head on it.

And speaking of Green Lantern and the DCUC figures, Blackest night is appearing in Wave 17 of the popular series.  Take the jump for a look at all those figures, including the Black Lantern Hal Jordan that was all the rage some months ago when it was a comic book convention exclusive.

Wave 17 will consist of Orange Lantern Luthor, Yellow Lantern Scarecrow, White Lantern Hal Jordan (with Black Lantern Variant), Violet Lantern Wonder Woman, Blue Lantern Flash and Indigo Lantern Atom. Together they will create a Collect and Connect modern Anti-Monitor!

And to answer the inevitable question, we did look into Red Lantern Mera. The only way to do her right is with a 100% tool and for that cost we can do 4 other figures. So while she did not make the cut this time around, we do know fans want complete sets and we are committed to one day getting her out there!

via Daily Blam and Mattel

REVIEW: Chew #16

On the Next Major Spoilers Podcast: The BEST and WORST of 2010

1. Alisha Mynx
    January 3, 2011 at 10:31 am — Reply

I’d love to get my hands on the WW figure as I currently have but a single WW figure in my collection and it’s an older less-detailed figure.

2. January 3, 2011 at 10:42 am — Reply

The movie Green Lantern figure just looks nasty, and not appealing at all.

The only one that looks any good to me is the Anti-Monitor.

3. Allen Jones
    January 3, 2011 at 11:11 am — Reply

I’ll be getting the Wave 17 set, but you could’ve done Atrocitus with Dex-Starr. Oh well.

4. Blackthunder01
    January 3, 2011 at 1:02 pm — Reply

While the figure doesn’t look so bad, the concept is still rather off putting. I like the Blackest Night line. That Wonder Woman is really well done; as is the White Hal. I expected better from Yellow and Orange though.

5. brenton8090
    January 3, 2011 at 6:27 pm — Reply

Just want a sweet ring. I have yet to find one that meets my standards.

6. Brent
    January 3, 2011 at 7:06 pm — Reply

Not to offend the cult of Silver Age Hal…But White Lantern Hal and Black Lantern Hal are so much more interesting than Green Lantern Hal (visually, and in general).

I am surprised there aren’t more negative comments about the Ryan Reynolds GL figure. I get what the costume designer was doing with the radiant, bleeding greens following the organic makeup of the wearer,as opposed to black and green “cloth”. But it loses something in translation to a toy. Maybe it the post production CGI will look good though.

7. Damascus
    March 21, 2011 at 3:55 am — Reply

Yeah, the Ryan Reynolds Hal figure is pretty ugly. I just don’t like the glowing snot dripping all over the front of his costume. I hate that and the ugly looking actual Lantern from the movie trailers. I still don’t know why they couldn’t use the design from the comics. I’d have even been fine if the goofy looking one was Abin Sur’s and after the ring had calibrated or after Hal had been to OA, the lantern changed shape into the classic lantern shape we all recognize. Oh well, not the place I suppose.