Here’s a rundown of the information announced this morning during the Marvel press conference that announced the Fear Itself mega company summer event.
Joe Quesada started the conference by asking what do people fear? The world is smaller, and things are changing to make people nervous about what to expect. This kicked off the Fear Itself trailer, featuring images from the teaser images that were released over the last week.
- The creative team consists of Matt Fraction, Stuart Immonen, Wade Von Grawbadger, and Laura Martin.
- The event kicks off in April 2011.
- Who will be the eight most worthy Marvel Heroes to take on the God of Fear?
- Marvel then featured a video from Matt Fraction talking about the summer event.
- The story should be relatable to the world we live in.
- It’s the characters we love taking on an “Extinction Level Event”.
Who are the worthy? According to Matt Fraction, we’ll have to keep watching to see who they are, and more importantly why they were chosen.
Tom Brevoort spoke briefly about the Fear Itself, saying they took last year off from big events so they could work on this year’s big crossover event. According to Brevoort, Fear Itself will be analogous to the Secret Invasion event and as big as the Civil War event.
- Fear Itself is seven issues and arrives in April 2011.
- Fear Itself prologue (one-shot) arrives in March 2011 from Ed Brubaker.
- A guestimate of tie-in titles should be at the same level as Civil War.
- The God of Fear is a new character that will change everything in the way characters look at themselves, and how readers look at the Marvel Universe.
It will function like many of the other major event stories from Marvel – it will be self contained in the seven issue series, but will also spill out into (nearly) all of the rest of Marvel’s titles. Brevoort did say they built the experience so that no matter what level of commitment you want to dive into, you should have a good experience.
- There are some storylines that have already hinted at the Fear Itself storyline in some of the Marvel titles.
- Brevoort said he believes the series will be $3.99, with the first issue running 45 pages, and the price may even go higher.
- Quesada believes this event will bring out the best in all their writers.
- Civil War was about heroes beating the crap out of one another, Fear Itself brings in real world events seen through the eyes of super powered people.
- Brevoort said it was too early to name all the characters, though Wednesday’s Marvel Solicitations release should reveal much more. We’ll have those solicitations right here, on Major Spoilers.
- Go back to the map shown in the recent Secret Avengers arc and you’ll see bits and pieces there.
When asked about going back into the dark with its heroes, Brevoort said characters have always battled dark heroes, so while there have been attempts to bring back the light (Age of Heroes), the heroes always need a crucible to see what they are made of, and how much they can handle.
- The stakes need to be high in order for the heroes to triumph.
Quesada essentially said the big events are a series of set-ups, releases, and then periods of quiet, which could be interpreted to mean the big company wide, title spanning events are not going away anytime soon.
- Whatever is left of the Fantastic Four will be involved in the event, as will Deadpool.
- Don’t discount Steve Rogers returning to the Captain America costume and title.
As always with any comic publisher press conference, questions are answered with lots of vague maybes and perhapses.
Now it’s time for you to use the space provided to voice your thoughts, concerns, and/or vitriol.