One of the Faithful Spoilerites sent in this suggestion for the poll of the week – Animals Fighting! Now while we don’t condone dog fights, cock fights, or other forms of animal cruelty, when the animals in question are fictional, and are already maiming and killing, it seems reasonable enough to toss the little buggers in the ring and let them go at it.

Entering the ring this week are Rocket Raccoon and Dex-Starr!

Dex-Starr is a Red Lantern who, upon his first appearance in the comics, murders the Sinestro Corps Member from Sector 3 with his Red Lantern vomit. Dex-Starr hails from Earth in Sector 2814. It is assumed that he was on Ysmault during the assault by the Lost Lanterns and the Alpha Lanterns.

Rocket Raccoon

Rocket Raccoon comes from Halfworld, in the Keystone Quadrant, an abandoned colony for the mentally ill where the animal companions were genetically manipulated to grant them human level intelligence and bipedal body construction for many to become caretakers of the inmates. Rocket was Halfworld’s chief law officer (“ranger”) who protected the colony against various threats.

Rocket Raccoon acts as the “Guardian of the Keystone Quadrant”, an area of outer space sealed off from the rest of the cosmos by the so-called Galacian Wall. Rocket is captain of the starship Rack ‘n’ Ruin, and he and his first mate Wal Russ (a talking walrus) come from the planet Halfworld, half of which is inhabited by other talking animals, and half of which is inhabited by automatons.

Two animals enter, one will leave… victorious!

POW! Dex-Starr vs. Rocket Raccoon - FIGHT!

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

Classics are back at BOOM! Studios with Donald Duck #363

Top Cow Sneak Peek: Top Cow Holiday Special

1. December 21, 2010 at 2:16 pm — Reply

Ruffles the Rage-Cat has an actual name? Strangely good to know.

2. aerspyder
    December 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm — Reply

Rocket Raccoon would blow the red ring off dex-starr’s little paw then made a funnier wise-crack then the any one I could come up with now. So I won’t try.

3. December 21, 2010 at 2:42 pm — Reply

Of both characters, Rocket Raccoon is definitely better. However, this is a fight; not a popularity contest. And, in a fight, the one with the better weapon wins and that would be Dex-Starr. The red ring might replace your blood with plasma, but it gives you flight, shields (I think), enhancements (not sure) and the vomit plasma beam of death. I don’t think there’s a weapon Rocket Raccoon can scrounge up to counter that…unless you give him his own power ring, nova force, quantum bands or star brand.

4. December 21, 2010 at 2:43 pm — Reply

any cat that can vomit and kill someone is always a winner in my book!

5. December 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm — Reply

any cat that can vomit and kill someone is always a winner in my book! Awesome

6. Bob
    December 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm — Reply

Cats = pure evil. Dex-Starr for the win…

7. Esfixe8
    December 21, 2010 at 2:54 pm — Reply

Gotta go with Dex-Starr here. As much as I love Rocket, Dex has a Red Lantern ring which can keep him alive in the vacuum of space so it would probably stop Rocket’s laser blasts. Now had it been Dex versus Cosmo the Cosmonaut dog, it might have been a different outcome.

8. Adam
    December 21, 2010 at 3:04 pm — Reply

Dex-Starr all the way!

But beyond that…Geoff Johns, we need more Dex-Starr. We’ve only had one little follow up story at the back end of a GL issue last year. We need to know how Dex-Starr is doing on his journey to avenge the murder of the nice lady that took care of him.

9. diagnull
    December 21, 2010 at 3:16 pm — Reply

Hmm. I’m not too familiar with either, but I’m going to go with Matthew’s specialist rule and say Dex-Starr. Rocket seems cool, but I don’t know what he excels at. Dex-Starr however seem to specialize in being completely INSANE.

10. Kirby
    December 21, 2010 at 3:50 pm — Reply

Even though I’m scarred to death of cats, I’m going with Ruffles.

11. December 21, 2010 at 4:13 pm — Reply

Are you kidding? Rocket Raccoon all the way.

12. Everan
    December 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm — Reply

Rocket Raccoon, for two reasons: a) he is a character, not just a visual gag and b) he is supposedly a master strategist, so I can easily see him outwitting the blue furball somehow, power ring or not. Can’t wait to see him in another cosmic book!

13. Blackthunder01
    December 21, 2010 at 6:01 pm — Reply

I voted for Dex-starr because I’ve at least heard of him … but just barely. I have no idea what each character is capable of though.

14. brenton8090
    December 21, 2010 at 6:37 pm — Reply

Thanks for using my suggestion guys! I got to give it to the all powered ring bearer. No, SCRATCH that. Rocket gets a hold of one of those rings that’re always floating around, and goes to town on DEX STARR.

15. brenton8090
    December 21, 2010 at 6:38 pm — Reply

Also, I AM GROOT.

16. James Adams
    December 21, 2010 at 6:57 pm — Reply

Man I dig Dex-Starr, but I’ve gotta give this to the raccoon with the heavy firepower. I’d tend to think that he can come up with the ordinance to counter the Red Lantern plasma effect.

17. December 21, 2010 at 8:15 pm — Reply

Neither, Pikachu could beat them both at the same time.

18. Rob
    December 21, 2010 at 8:48 pm — Reply

Dex-Starr all the way. Rocket is just a (fuzzy) guy with a gun. Kitty has a freak’n ring that lets him vomit plasma blood.

19. Ricco
    December 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm — Reply

Dex-Starr, he has powers plus I can’t think of his origin story without tearing up.

20. Gibralter
    December 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm — Reply

Rocket Raccon for the win! He’d blow Dex-star’s head clean off before he got close.

21. Robbie
    December 21, 2010 at 11:40 pm — Reply

Hmm…a raccoon ordinance master versus a cat with a power ring..

Hmm, Rocky would mix some friskies with a little coagulant, make a blaster out of it, and clean some kitty’s clock..

22. Darth Baron
    December 22, 2010 at 6:52 am — Reply

Acid Hairball for the win.

23. James Winston
    December 22, 2010 at 12:35 pm — Reply

Dex would use his ring to hold the space rat then acid hairball him back to the stoneage.