Jumping the Shark

In this issue: “This is crap!” is a phrase tossed about whenever a reader or viewer feels cheated. But when does it really turn to crap, and more importantly, why?

[podcast]http://traffic.libsyn.com/majorspoilers/msp264.mp3[/podcast]

Direct Download

RSS Feed

Podcast Alley

Contact us at podcast@majorspoilers.com

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

Friday Sing-Along: Shop Vac

Critical Hit #79: Listener Feedback

1. Ricco
    December 19, 2010 at 12:51 am — Reply

On the subject of disappointment, stay away from Tron Legacy, specialy Rodrigo. The movie is basically a 2 hours 6 minutes video game with characters you can’t control, every fight scene was made with the game in mind, down to the multiple lives of characters thanks to extra light vehicles they carry (oh no! Clu’s lightcicle goes to pieces he’ll die like all the others right? But wait he had an extra so he’s okay). Every damn fight with Clu he shows up with 4 lackies like a freaking mid-boss, add the crappy effect on Bridges de-aged face and I could have sworn I was watching someone play “Oni” on PS2.

Matthew’s “he said hinting broadly” resumes any and all plot twists, here are some examples:

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Flynn senior: “ISOs were very innocent and curious”
    Flynn junior: “he killed them all?”
    Flynn: “Almost” *with big eyed curious and naive girl standing in the same room, do the math*

We see Tron fight with 2 disks (they even do a close-up of the disks), then Flynn senior says how “I don’t know what happened to Tron”, Clu’s main enforcer is the only program who uses 2 disks and wear Darth Vader like body armor with a black helmet and knows how to recognize a user…

They dropped the religious aspect of the original, the de-aged Jeff Bridges looks VERY fake, the story is weak at best and the acting even weaker, fail!

2. Allen
    December 19, 2010 at 2:28 pm — Reply

I love your site and visit a lot. Your idea about the creators establishing “a contract” is an interesting and worthwhile analogy. But I have to say I’m a little disappointed that so much of the rest of the analysis was repeating something is “crap.”

The point that is being ignored is that comics, for the most part, a products that are sold, not independent works of art meant to be displayed in a gallery. They are produced to make money. How do they do that? By walking that fine line between writing something that feels “new” while keeping the character everything we want. We don’t want change, yet we want creativity.

Every artist goes downhill. We all do. The industry will keep on producing as long as things sell.

• December 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm — Reply

I see what you’re saying, but mostly we were using “crap” as shorthand for the story in question after that ambiguous turning point where you lose interest. We could have picked a better word, but I think if you look past it most of our arguments are still valid.

• Allen
        December 19, 2010 at 3:31 pm — Reply

Not being a regular listener to your podcasts, I guess I’m not really used to your guys’ style. I found your input pretty thoughtful in the beginning, but it was established in the first five minutes that things degrade in quality and, beyond the exploration of the contract idea, we never really went anywhere after that.

Do you guys explore industry related issues and realities? Cause it’s pretty obvious that there are editors and marketing teams and sales goals. I am amazed that we have gems we can hold to high esteem( mine is Bats: Year One) when really these guys are working for a paycheck and have a thousand obstacles against making a unique piece of art that endures in any way.

And references to wrestling storylines? Come on…

• Ricco
          December 19, 2010 at 4:48 pm — Reply

Well, most fans of the site come for their opinions/analysis and stay for the wrestling/WoW/D&D/movie/etc. refs they make, as Matthew is fond of saying “your mileage may vary”.

P.S. The weekend podcast was always the one in which they go for a fun talk amongs friends rather then in-depth analysis, their subjects are random and varied.

• J Michael T
          December 19, 2010 at 7:11 pm — Reply

I guess then, that … eventually … this podcast went to crap for you … :-)

• Allen
            December 19, 2010 at 9:54 pm — Reply

Pretty quick actually. But it’s still my fave comics site since Dial B for Blog is outta business. Take it easy guys!

3. Blackthunder01
    December 20, 2010 at 9:30 am — Reply

I can’t remember how the topic transitioned from “Crap things” to “Things I do with my kids”.

That being said, I don’t think saying Lost went to crap is right. That show consistantly produced at a high level. And the major gripe wasn’t about something they did; it was about something they didn’t do. Lost ran for 114 episodes. For 113 of them, people were very happy with the show. I think if most people rewatched the finale, they’d see it was a great episode as well. There is a difference between something being bad and something being not what you wanted.

It’s all a matter of personal oppinion on what Jumps the Shark. That’s why there are so many topics where people are asked when it happened and not telling you when it happened.