Fans of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy may or may not be familiar with Douglas Adams other series, Dirk Gently.  The BBC has a series based on the book ready for air, and I really wish I could see the entire show.

Anyone know if this will air on BBC America, or am I going to have to go through other “channel” to get this thing?

Wolverine and others head to Japan

Archie Comics Sneak Peek of the Week

1. hectorbustnuts
    December 8, 2010 at 3:38 pm — Reply

Please don’t stuff it up…please don’t stuff it up…please don’t stuff it up…please don’t stuff it up…please don’t stuff it up…

2. December 8, 2010 at 3:56 pm — Reply

I really, REALLY hope this comes to BBC America!

3. Camoren Jennings
    December 8, 2010 at 3:59 pm — Reply

It’s on BBC4… don’t get your hopes up, it’s where they dump the rubbish..

• hectorbustnuts
      December 8, 2010 at 7:37 pm — Reply

It’s still the BBC. I trust them more than if a US network was producing it.

4. Randallw
    December 8, 2010 at 7:13 pm — Reply

I always imagined a more film noir looking type Dirk. Sort of like a cynical David Tennant with a hat.

5. @lantis
    December 9, 2010 at 4:47 am — Reply

Looks fun and a little absurd. Should have a nice Douglas Adams feel to it, but if it is a television show it will inevitably stray from the source material by a large margin so be prepared for that.

6. Schafe
    December 9, 2010 at 5:39 am — Reply

I presume that BBC 4 is where they dump the rubbish comment is sarcastic in note.

I think they did stuff it up though, I just don’t think the actor portraying Dirk is going to portray him right. Where is the aura of mystery and misdirection? Dirk is funny yeah but I don’t think any Adams character deserves to be played for laughs by a mundane run of the mill comic actor, they all have a bit more to them.

The Electronic Monk best be in it as well.

7. Everan
    December 9, 2010 at 6:53 am — Reply

I may remember it wrong, but wasn’t Dirk a fat guy?

8. Camoren Jennings
    December 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm — Reply

I was being very serious about it. One of the programmes on there tonight is called… The Beauty of Diagrams.

If they wanted this to have a chance they’d have put it on BBC 3 at the very least. (where shows such as Torchwood got thier start)

Though they are also running it at the same time on BBC HD (Thursday 16th December at 21:00 GMT), for those of you who have access to it.

The actor is an interesting choice, he was in a show called the green wing (sort of like scrubs, but not very funny, so.. just like scrubs :p )

I’ll certainly watch it and I hope it is a good apdaptation. But a BBC 4 release suggests a certain lack of confidence on the part of the BBC execs.

• hectorbustnuts
      December 9, 2010 at 3:32 pm — Reply

Really? You’re dissing “The Beauty of Diagrams”?

A show that follows great moments of scientific progress through the original diagrams and illustrations that explain the theories?

Do you like Uwe Boll movies?

9. Schafe
    December 10, 2010 at 4:34 am — Reply

BBC 4 does high culture, decent programming, not everything is my cup of tea but who likes documentaries on all subjects? BBC 4 did the drama series about Acorn computers which was cool and decent. I don’t think Beeb4 has done a bad drama series, which is perhaps understandable as it has a really small budget for making shows.

10. Damascus
    March 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm — Reply

I just watched the preview and having no prior knowledge of the source material, I have no idea what that show is supposed to be about. Something about coincidences not really being coincidental, I guess, but other than that it made zero sense to me.