Marvel has announced the polybagged issue of Fantastic Four #587, will not get any overprints, nor will it appear on newstands.

“The surprises in this issues—and what comes next—constitute one of the biggest events in Marvel history,” said David Gabriel, SVP Sales & Circulation. “When you see the plans that Tom Brevoort, Jonathan Hickman and Steve Epting come to fruition, you’ll know why we say this is the story everyone will be talking about. We urge retailers to look for a major incentive announcement in Diamond Daily and stock up not just for January, but for the coming months as the aftermath of this issue is revealed.”

While this may sound like an exciting announcement that will change the very nature of the Marvel Universe, DC Comics did something similar in 1992 with a polybagged issue of Superman #75 (The Death of Superman) that sold like wildfire the month before the holidays.

With a no overprint claim from Marvel, and the indications that this is the end of the Fantastic Four, it might just play out okay for the publisher. However, there are a large number of readers who are already disenchanted with the “world changing” event stories, as time and time again publishers have returned to the status quo within months.  Superman returned from the dead, and within a year, the Fantastic Four will probably be back together…again.

The polybagged issue of the Fantastic Four arrives January 26, 2011.  If you can’t get the sealed version, a spoiler filled cover variant will arrive in stores February 2, 2011.

via Marvel

Top Cow Sneak Peek: Witchblade #140

Alex Segura leaves DC, joins Archie Comics

1. December 6, 2010 at 9:29 am — Reply

It’s official. The head honchos at Marvel really want to be DC. ;p

2. December 6, 2010 at 10:45 am — Reply

Polybags Marvel? What prompted such a dickhead move? Im guessing huge spike in bit torrents of FF #587 and decreased sales. Thoughts?

3. December 6, 2010 at 12:34 pm — Reply

In my eyes Jonathan Hickman can do no wrong, and whatever part he has in this I will forgive him, I don’t think I can say the same for Brevoort, and other Marvel Inc. honchos. Did you all learn from the last time around? Polybags and variants do not a good comic make. “Big Events” are meaningless today. They will not permanantly kill off Ben Grimm or any other member of the Fantastic Four. Because it is a money making property. Marvel is in it for the money, that’s how it has always been, and story is second thought. I was enjoying the FF run by Hickman, but I see this a lame stunt, and will just wait for the trade from now on.

4. Smoothesuede
    December 7, 2010 at 7:35 am — Reply

I’ve never been a collector of these books, per se, rather than a reader. I don’t really keep my comics in perfect storage condition or anything like that, but I gotta say… There’s a chance this story is really as important as Marvel’s saying, and if that’s true – an unopened polybag of this issue may be worth some scratch some day. I’m kind of ashamed to say I’m thinking of getting two just for that purpose.

5. littleflavio
    January 29, 2011 at 11:57 am — Reply

just got one of this, and had to reserved 3 more. 1 will be opened though and 3 will be kept.

6. coffeeman
    February 3, 2011 at 5:22 pm — Reply

that flipping bag was so hard to open. Never again!!

7. Matthew E. Callahan
    April 23, 2011 at 10:25 am — Reply

I personally saw Fantastic Four # 587 as a wonderful investment opportunity and therefore purchased 10 copies. I have plans to hold them for a while and then put them in my half stack cases in Maine.

• April 23, 2011 at 6:15 pm — Reply

Be careful… Back issue prices on that issue are already dropping.