Marvel sent over some screen captures of this week’s The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. I just had a chance to watch the latest episode, and it’s a good one.

Baron Zemo returns in a new episode of “The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes” on Sunday, December 5 at 10:00 a.m., ET/PT on Disney XD. The Avengers may be Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, but now they’re faced with Earth’s Mightiest villains—the Masters of Evil!

On Sunday Morning, Evil will be Avenged with Brand New Episodes of “The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes” — Sundays at 10:00 a.m. on Disney XD.

via Marvel

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Sneak Peek: Pursuit of Peace

28 Days of Geek Giving: Voice-activated Harry Potter wand flashlights

1. TaZ
    December 2, 2010 at 4:01 pm — Reply

I have been pleasantly surprised and enjoyed this most “re-imagining” of the Avengers in animated format. Much better than the Ultimates version. The story lines are not verbatim from the originals from the 60’s and 70’s, but have been done well to retain the “spirit” of the old Avenger mags with a gathering of characters from different eras of the group (Modern Tony Stark/60’s Hank Pym and Wasp/Classic Thor with movie helmet/original Black Panther/”Smart” Green Hulk/modern Hawkeye). I don’t like them going with the “minority” Nick Fury from the movie/Ultimates and making him the son of “Sergent Jack Fury and the Howling Commandos” but I understand that this series is sort of a lead-in for younger folks that may not be familiar with the Avengers for the upcoming motion picture series. However, it tickled an old Howler fan like me to see Dum-Dum and Nick’s boys in the Captain America short along with the claw-less Wolverine in a brief cameo. I didn’t even mind the changes to the Cap mythos too bad (having Red Skull be the reason for Bucky’s death and Zemo be the one that doesn’t age due to Arnim Zola to face Cap today). I did grimace at the notion that they’ve pretty much substituted Hydra for the Nazis in dealing with Zemo, Skull and Baron Strucker. Guess you can’t teach kids the truth of history without being politically correct anymore. But then again, Cap’s a work of fiction anyway so I guess that’s a moot point.

I did find the most recent installment of the “little kids version”, Super Hero Squad, to be pretty funny in Wolverine’s conversation with Herbie on why he was in the animated FF series instead of the Human Torch and Wolverine’s “team-up checklist”.

• December 3, 2010 at 1:04 am — Reply

The thing about the “Nazis / Hydra thing”… Marvel and Disney want to be able to air this and all their stuffs on affiliates over seas. Truth with the Nazis is this, they doesn’t always play well everywhere else outside of the US. Also… it is difficult when it comes to making toys…. Not many folk want to make and sell Nazi toys. Solution… the evil Multinational Hydra entity. If it was only being release in the US, it probably wouldn’t be such an issue, but as we are part of a global market now things are scrutinized differently.

Kinda like the Japanese not sending us any Western genre anime dramas with heavy story points / plot elements about the genocidal tendencies expressed by our forerunners towards the Native Americans. Networks here might balk at that in a kids cartoon. It is simple business, that’s all.

• TaZ
        December 3, 2010 at 8:41 am — Reply

I don’t understand that mind-set for anime since many of the most successful movies in the 60s to today are more from the perspective of the Native Americans (Billy Jack, Dances with Wolves, etc.).

• December 3, 2010 at 11:08 pm — Reply

Yeah, I know, BUT as cool as those films are… the Disney / Marvel folks aren’t using them as a vehicle to pimp toys and happy meals to 6-11 year old boys…. though a Billy Jack Happy Meal combo WOULD crack me uyp on some level…

• Alisha Mynx
            December 4, 2010 at 12:50 pm — Reply

“Now at McDonalds, you too can recreate the magic of stopping opression from ‘the man’ with your very own Billy Jack Happy Meal!”

• Damascus
            January 11, 2011 at 4:37 am — Reply

I want one!! I hope that the toy will take this right foot, and whop you on that side of your face…

2. December 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm — Reply

I thoroughly enjoyed every episode and haven’t missed a single one including the minisodes. Although he’s too young, my 26-month old son loves watching. Iron Man is his favorite but he can say Hulk, Captain America and Thor.

Having read all of the Ultimates books and Avengers off and on over the years, I like how they incorporate different villains and supporting characters in the cartoon. I had never heard of Graviton prior to the cartoon but after watching those 2 episodes featuring him, I found out more about him online so it’s been fun finding out more about that universe.

Changing everything from Nazi to Hydra doesn’t bother me at all and I don’t think it’s political correctness in so much as it’s easier to tell a story 22 minutes at a time.

I really like the roster and so happy that it’s got the heavy hitters unlike the previous Avengers cartoon from a few years ago or so. That was just terrible. I love Hawkeye’s cockiness. Glad to see he’s part of the team and also happy that the Hulk is back.

3. seneca
    December 2, 2010 at 6:47 pm — Reply

Its a shame this is on a channel that you have to pay extra for, thus I can not watch it.

4. Mijder
    December 3, 2010 at 5:04 pm — Reply

Is it just me or does show seem to move around the schedule a bit? First it was on Wednesdays, then Friday, and now Sundays? This worries me.

• Alisha Mynx
      December 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm — Reply

Yeah, I noticed that. I’m hoping after the holidays they come back to a weeknight slot and stick around, the schedule jumping almost makes it seem like they want it to fail.

5. Jim
    December 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm — Reply

I haven’t seen all of the episodes, but I did catch about 5 or 6 during a marathon recently and thought it was pretty good. The characterization seemed interesting and I like how many villians they’re throwing out there. My only gripe is the hybrid Nick Fury. Why combine the blackness of Ultimate Nick with the look of 616 Nick? Is this some symbol that EMH will be an amalgalm of both worlds? Eh, in any case, I’m going to try to watch the other episodes soon.

6. Carl
    December 8, 2010 at 11:28 am — Reply

One of the things I’m starting to like is that Cap seems to be coaching Iron Man on how to lead a combat team. Will this lead to Cap taking over or Iron Man becoming a better leader?

Does anyone know the status of Quicksilver & The Scarlet Witch with regards to this series. They’ve been tied with the X-Men cartoon franchise in the past. It would be a shame if we can’t have one episode with Cap’s Kooky Quartet.