DC Comics had a great idea a few years ago where it would introduce a new line of comics under the All-Star banner and feature many of their characters in a whole new light.  First out of the gate were the powerhouse duo of All-Star Superman (Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely) and All-Star Batman and Robin (Frank Miller and Jim Lee).  Sounds like a sure fire hit, right?  While Morrison did complete his Superman maxi-series, Miller and Lee floundered in getting their ASBAR out on time.  But where not here to discuss release dates, and/or failures.  We want to know which of the All-Star series you preferred most – All-Star Superman, or All-Star Batman and Robin.

POW! Which do you like more - All-Star Superman or All-Star Batman?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

Butcher Baker cover update

All-Star Superman animated movie arrives February 22, 2011

1. diagnull
    November 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm — Reply

Haven’t read much of either one, but All-Star Supes is just more *fun*. I like fun things. You like fun things too, right?

-D

2. Moppen
    November 30, 2010 at 1:08 pm — Reply

Wile I’ve not had the opportunity to read either series I’m going with who I like more, and I really hate me some super man, so Bats all the way.

3. Ricco
    November 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm — Reply

Batman of course, All-Star Batman is obviously the better comic, based solely on the quality of the pic chosen by Steph… the Robot Overlord.

• Blackthunder01
      November 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm — Reply

That picture of Superman has always reminded me of Kronk from Disney’s The Emperor’s New Groove. lol. But I agree. Batman wins for better picture. :)

(Seriously … there needs to be a poll where we just vote on which is the better picture.)

4. November 30, 2010 at 1:20 pm — Reply

All-Star Superman all the way! It is a better told story, better illustrated(YMMV!), it was actually completed, didn’t have gratuatous Lois Lane panty shots, and didn’t have a, “I’m the Goddamn Superman.”
    It was a story of and for, the man of tomorrow, not some bastard child of the Dark Age of comics.

5. Kirby
    November 30, 2010 at 1:55 pm — Reply

All-Star Superman, to paraphrase Matthew “I’m not 14, throwing the horns and going ‘Rock!'”

6. Blackthunder01
    November 30, 2010 at 1:57 pm — Reply

At first I hated what they did to All Star Batman when I looked through issue 2. However, after I put the comic down, I was magnetically drawn back to it for some reason. I never found out exactly what that reason was but now I find that of all the Batmans (Batmen?) out there, the All Star one is the one I enjoy the most. I think my love of the Bat-jerk era (that time when the mind wiping was an issue) plays a big part in my love for this title. I would love to see a comic based on Miller and Lee’s Justice League as well.

All Star Superman is a differnet story. I was given the first 2 issues of this comic in the hopes to get me hooked on it. I found it to be rather boring story telling with even more boring artwork. I guess that fits Superman to the T though, since he’s often written as a rather boring character. Safe to say, I’ve never read another issue of it.

Having voted for All Star Batman, I find it rather frustrating that DC is giving us All Star Superman on DVD in the same month they promised us the first issue of Dark Knight : Boy Wonder (AKA – All Star Batman and Robin Volume 2). Has anyone heard anything about when that comic is rescheduled for? Hello? DC? A little communication please…

7. Bob
    November 30, 2010 at 2:05 pm — Reply

Superman did kind of bore me, and I am a Superman fan and don’t find the character boring. Batman I found completely out of character creepy perverse. Is it just me or is he rather fond of Robin?

• Blackthunder01
      November 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm — Reply

I never got that vibe. I think I was more interested in the fact that he made him catch his own food while in the cave. That’s cold …

That and when Dinah opened a can of whoop-ass on the bar. Namely the guy getting fresh with her that looked just like Ollie. :)

8. Armaan
    November 30, 2010 at 2:35 pm — Reply

What I loved about All Star Batman was that they created a very connected universe from the getgo. The not only show Batman aware of Superman in his early years, they show him figuring out his secret id. There’s a Justice League being formed rather quickly, and Batman has IDEAS about what to do with the Green Lantern ring because lets face it, there have GOT to be times when Batman thinks, “Man, I could do so much BETTER with that ring”
    Also. MAN are the women hot there.

9. Bob
    November 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm — Reply

Since I like just about EVERYONE (no, not you Dr. Druid) better than Superman, my vote goes to Batman

10. RC
    November 30, 2010 at 4:15 pm — Reply

Got the TPB of All-Star Batman the other day. I thought it was weird to see an introduction by a DC editor – usually it’s some ‘name’ heaping praise of the run, etc., etc., Was it bad? To each his own. Won’t recommend it as the BEST Batman story I ever read but as far as comparing it to All-Star Superman, IMHO THAT story of Superman would make the top 5 of a top ten list.

11. November 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm — Reply

Honestly, and I’m not trying to be superlative, here, I have truly never understood the draw of ASBAR. I honestly don’t get it. The Batman Miller wrote in this series, for all his statements to the contrary, does not in any way reflect the Batman of Year One or LOTDK. I try to have an open mind when it comes to different depictions of characters, but the problem with what Miller did was that he created an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT set of characters who don’t even really correspond to the originals.

Supes, on the other hand, was just a fun and interesting story. Don’t get me wrong. It’s really tough to do a good Superman story, and I’m generally all about the bat, but this time I gotta go with All Star Superman for the win.

12. Cheesedemon
    December 1, 2010 at 5:57 am — Reply

All Star Superman for me, I haven’t read it, but it can’t possibly be worse than All Star Batman

13. frantz niemans
    December 1, 2010 at 6:53 am — Reply

They both had great art (although Jim Lee was AWESOME!!!!) but Miller´s story was so akward and creepy, that I could’nt read past the green lantern issue. Batman was totally out of character and the story was pathetic. I think i only bought the green lantern one because of Jim Lee. Never regret dropping that book.
    On the other hand, Morrison was AMAZING in his treatment of the character, the script, the storytelling, the epicness. The only think i didn’t consider Excellent was the Bizzaro issues (but I hate Bizzaro, so…). Besides, it has the only issue that I ever saw unanomously considered “pick of the week” or “book of the month” by absolutely every web page, and every friggin podcast (totally deserved, of course), the INCREDIBLE issue 8, where he makes his testament and last will. Now THAT is a comic worthy of the name ALL-STAR.
    Long live Morrison!!! I even forgive you for Final Crisis!!!

14. Samuel
    December 1, 2010 at 12:53 pm — Reply

All Star Batman because I liked it better in everyway. But most of all Batman and Robin vs Green lantern.