25 years ago today, I opened up my local newspaper and instantly fell in love with Calvin and Hobbes.  The strip mixed social commentary, side splitting comedy, and a look at the world around us from the perspective of a young kid with an over active imagination.

Bill Watterson wrapped up the Calvin and Hobbes series on December 31, 1995, and the world is a sadder place because of it.

via Go Comics

Denis Leary joins Spider-Man cast

Who else is gunning for me?

1. November 18, 2010 at 10:22 am — Reply

Agreed! Calvin and Hobbes holds a special place in my heart – my parents bought me several strip collections over the years, and it filled my childhood with wonder. Bill Watterson is an amazing artist and writer!

2. November 18, 2010 at 10:36 am — Reply

Calvin and Hobbes is something truly special. There’s something really magical and poignant, while still being quite hilarious, about this little comic strip. I actually use it in my composition classes when we discuss literature. It is a helpful way to make students question their conceptions about what can and cannot be called literature.

3. TVsBryanD
    November 18, 2010 at 10:38 am — Reply

I loved Calvin and Hobbes. Sad that kids today only know Calvin for peeing on things on the back glass of pick-up trucks.

4. Bob
    November 18, 2010 at 11:19 am — Reply

Calvin and Hobbes is fantastic, one of the best comic strips ever. I grey up with them so they are very special.

5. awdnunz
    November 18, 2010 at 11:21 am — Reply

Calvin and Hobbes was a great strip. I can only imagine the fun and frivolity that Bill Watterson could have done had he kept it around longer. What made it so great was the simplest concept of a boy with a very active imagination and what he could do with it. From “Spaceman Skiff” to the different things Calvin would do with a box i.e. The Duplicator, the Transmogrphier, to the antics with Suzy Derkins. It was truly a great strip and one that is missed today.

6. Damascus
    December 9, 2010 at 12:33 am — Reply

“Look a dead bird!”
    “It must’ve hit a window.”
    “Isn’t it beautiful? It’s so delicate. SIGGHH… Once it’s too late, you appreciate what a miracle life is. You realize that nature is ruthless and our existence is very fragile, temporary, and precious. But to go on with your daily affairs, you can’t really think about that. …Which is probably why everyone takes the world for granted and why we act so thoughtlessly. It’s very confusing. I suppose it will all make sense when we grow up.”
    “No doubt.”