Major Spoilers Podcast #253: Empowered

Image Comics announces Tyrannosaurus Rex one-shot

1. Mijder
    November 17, 2010 at 8:47 am — Reply

The comparisons are inevitable so I guess I’ll just go ahead and say I much prefer the leaker Thor trailer to this one.

2. eric
    November 17, 2010 at 8:52 am — Reply

I think I am too much of a purist. I may be disappointed in this.

3. diagnull
    November 17, 2010 at 9:21 am — Reply

Looks fun but…I always pictured Hal as more…dull.

4. November 17, 2010 at 9:43 am — Reply

If you haven’t I think rereading Emerald Dawn for a good look at Hal Jordan from the character development standpoint would be a good idea.

5. Brian G.
    November 17, 2010 at 9:46 am — Reply

The first time I saw anything about this movie I thought I was instantly going to hate it. While it’s not the next Dark Knight, I think DC finally has another sucessful superhero to franchise on. (From the news I’ve heard, I can’t wait to see Kyle in the second movie and Guy in the third.)

6. November 17, 2010 at 11:00 am — Reply

Looks possibly pretty cool. Ryan Reynolds actually does a pretty good job as Hal in this trailer, but I’m a little concerned about the over-use of CGI – not so much for the Green Lanterns, Oa or even Kilowog – but c’mon, even the parachute is clearly CGI! Still, Mark Sinestro looks pretty bad-ass as Sinestro, so I’ll definitely see it in the theaters.

• November 17, 2010 at 5:36 pm — Reply

I completely agree with you. The CGI in the non-Lantern related parts seems sort of like a cop out. I feel like the plot is going to be pretty basic with a lot of emphasis on the effects and aliens. Which, you know, I’m okay with because I’ll be there to see an action film not a serious drama.

7. Kirby
    November 17, 2010 at 11:49 am — Reply

Overall I think it looks good, and will hopefully prove that DC movies don’t need to be ‘Dark Knight’ to suceed.

8. November 17, 2010 at 12:05 pm — Reply

After watching the trailer, I got the same feeling that I had after seeing the first trailer for Ang Lee’s Hulk movie. I was thinking/hoping that the footage was rushed out and that maybe the effects would look better in the final film. Gee, I hope there’s another digital layer of polish that has yet to be applied before this one gets released. The CGI looks like CGI.

9. November 17, 2010 at 12:07 pm — Reply

I always thought a real Green Lantern movie would be more like “The Right Stuff”, but with aliens. That is a movie I’d see. The digital FX, which is here is very noticeable, and when that is so, that is not good. The tone of the trailer, and more than likely the movie, is that of Spiderman.
    Is it just me or does Ryan seem like Ben Afleck at the end when he shows his bud the suit?

10. IamtheWalrus
    November 17, 2010 at 2:48 pm — Reply

Direct to torrent.

11. Jim
    November 17, 2010 at 2:49 pm — Reply

I have mixed feelings on this. The Oa/space stuff looks awesome but the egotistical jerk hero feels familiar after 2 Iron Man movies. I worry about Blake Lively pulling a Katie Holmes. And the Saarsgard/Hammond character with his giant puffy head looks pretty ridiculously goofy. I’ll still see it, and it will probably be fun, but I don’t know if it will be that good.

12. thedexter102
    November 17, 2010 at 3:34 pm — Reply

Half of me doesn’t buy into Ryan Renolds as Hal, the other half is thinking this could be an entertaining movie.

13. Aubreii
    November 17, 2010 at 5:12 pm — Reply

you know who could have been a good Jordan? The guy who voiced him in the animated feature. Christopher perlini[sic]? From the Law and Order series.

14. @lantis
    November 17, 2010 at 6:43 pm — Reply

As someone who has never really cared about Green Lantern or that part of the DC Universe, I feel that this movie trailer did its job. It makes me curious enough about the character to go see this movie. Having minimal exposure to Hal Jordan, I think I’ll probably like their treatment of the character.

15. CorellonAIE
    November 17, 2010 at 7:40 pm — Reply

Is it me or does Hal seem a little….too skinny when in the costume? It’s like he’s a stick figure. I know they wanted the suit CGI and all, but something about it just doesn’t look right.

16. Ricco
    November 17, 2010 at 8:20 pm — Reply

I like the space cop aspect to Green Lantern (any green lantern), that’s not what I’m getting from this trailer. All I’m getting is Tony Stark with a power ring…

The cgi looks like cgi, heck it looks like photoshopped paint over a pic of Ryan (the scene when he changes in front of his friend is horrible) but the actual movie might look better. Might see it, but not sure now, I’ll wait for a couple reviews I guess.

17. brainypirate
    November 17, 2010 at 9:24 pm — Reply

I kept imagining Nathan Fillion as Hal — does Reynolds seem more like a Barry Allen?

18. Jinx33
    November 17, 2010 at 11:56 pm — Reply

Looking forward to the movie, but I think they missed the mark on the costume. Green, glittery, muscle tissue … ahhh, nah.

19. Damascus
    November 18, 2010 at 12:49 am — Reply

I really like the look of the ring now, when Abin Sur hands it to Hal. I thought there were moments when the CGI looked pretty cool, and then moments, especially the suit on Hal, that looked kinda crappy. I actually thought the suit on Sinestro didn’t look that bad, so I’m really hoping that there is a little more work being done before it’s released. I’m also worried about Blake Lively too, my wife likes her from Gossip Girl, and I think she’s pretty but the scene where she’s balling Hal out for being late just didn’t strike me as genuine. All my concerns will ultimately amount to nothing until the actual movie hits theaters, because I’m speculating on fragments of scenes shown out of order and possibly not fully completed either. It’s just awesome to see that it’s actually coming together. We’ve been hearing about it for a while, and I’m just glad to see that it is coming.

20. faralar
    November 18, 2010 at 4:52 am — Reply

A lot better than the ET trailer, looks very good. As someone who got to know green lantern properly around the time he got rid of the spectre and parallax (rebirth and secret origins) I have to say this trailer seems to protray hal quite well, the tone seems to be serious but with a bit of humor thown in which is exactly how I want it!

21. Hollaendermichel1
    November 20, 2010 at 8:47 am — Reply

No matter what I write here. I will not change you snobs. And I thought that prejudices is mainly distributed in my country. But ignorant people are everywhere in our world. To all of you people down there who talk bad about a movie before it ran in theaters, you making me sick. Let us watch this movie and than judge about it. How can you say you wont watch a whole movie just becouse of one scene.

Ok, I dont like the costume transformation. I have wished it would look like in the animated series. As if it were blasted,like a scanner, line by line from the ring to the ring carrier. But they made a Dragon Ball look like transformation out of it. Who cares? I am not a director. Martin Campbell has been given that title. He was responsible for Casino Royal. For this film, he doasent need to be ashamed.
    Hal will maybe transformer 4 times in this movie. That’s maybe 20 seconds of the whole movie. Hit me hard and call me Wanda. But I will not kill the pleasure to watch a potentially good movie just because a couple of seconds in a trailer.

And I know that all of you little boys will spit in your pants when Kilowog appears.

I will guarantee that this film is 100 times better than the last Superman movie.

P.S. @ Mr. Schleicher, Superman has to fly ;-)