Marvel says it is proud to announce the Death of Spider-Man, which actually seems rather morbid than exciting.  The story that promises to change the Ultimate (Comics) universe forever will be written by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Millar. Fans of Ultimate (Comics) Spider-Man won’t have to wait long for the event to occur as I’m told the arc kicks off in Ultimate Spider-Man #153. Those of you who are following the Ultimate (Comics) Spider-Man series may be scratching your head, as Ultimate (Comics) Spider-Man is currently at issue #15. Remember kids, Marvel is changing the number of issue #16, BACK to the old USM numbering, though they are still keeping the Comics in the banner, even though you won’t see it on the cover.

Confused? Don’t be, as Bendis said this will be an event no one has ever seen before.

“As a group and as individuals we have made a conscious effort to create stories this year that no one has ever seen before,” said Bendis. “I am very, very proud to be a part of this storyline and very proud of Marvel for even attempting such a bold endeavor. Sit back and watch as we unveil a storyline unlike any other!!”

An original story in an Ultimate Spider-Man arc would be rather cool, but I wonder when Doomsday will show up?

Millar added, “This is the biggest, boldest thing we’ve attempted in the ten years since we kicked this line off. This is the one thing that could be bigger than the CREATION of the Ultimate line and it’s great to be a part of it. Being part of something like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and soon you’ll all get to read the story we’ve written for you, This should be up there with the very small number of events that really mattered. This is going to be big.”

The Death of Spider-Man kicks off in February in Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #153 and #154.  And even though Marvel said they were going to lower prices, these issues will be $3.99 each.

via Marvel

REVIEW: The Amazing Spider-Man #648

Image Comics Sneak Peek of the Week

1. Peruchito
    November 16, 2010 at 8:24 am — Reply

Death of Marvel. now that would be exciting

2. Axel_The_Red
    November 16, 2010 at 9:16 am — Reply

Why do i think this is going to be horrific

3. Brian G.
    November 16, 2010 at 9:42 am — Reply

So it’s Ultimate Spidey that’s dying. I have a friend who is greatly please that it’s not regular Spidey. :)

4. Brother129
    November 16, 2010 at 9:52 am — Reply

While I trust BMB’s abilities to BEGIN an interesting storyline…I can’t help but imagine that I will be let down in the end. Because any “major” death likes this leads to the inevitable replacement/resurrection storyline. I will give credit to “Ultimatum” for giving the Ultimate books new creative ground to mine from again. But seriously, is this going to be their schtick? Blowing up everybody every 3-5 years????

• November 16, 2010 at 11:24 am — Reply

This could be the start of the Death Knell of the Ultimate universe. Let’s face it folks; this isn’t the first time Marvel has started and ended an alternate universe. Anyone remember Marvel 2099? How about MC2?

• November 16, 2010 at 1:12 pm — Reply

You forgot New Universe.

• Alisha Mynx
        November 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm — Reply

I liked a lot of 2099 and most of MC2, and Ultimate Marvel is no different. They had potential for great stories that wouldn’t work out in the “main” Marvel U. Can’t say I’ll be thrilled to see Ultimate Spidey killed, but if it’s written well enough it could be a great story instead of just the cliche “Death of (insert name here)”.

5. Thomas Jefferson Lee
    November 16, 2010 at 10:25 am — Reply

My guess is that Spider-man dies from embarassment over that state of his comic titles.

6. jurman
    November 16, 2010 at 4:56 pm — Reply

I hope he is eaten by the Blob.

7. Jim
    November 16, 2010 at 8:05 pm — Reply

This announcement combines two of the things I hate most about contemporary comics (which I like overall):
    1) the “Death of…” gimmick.
    2) The “biggest, boldest” “nothing will ever compare to this” bluster some of these guys spout.

Seriously, I understand there has to be PR and I guess it works for these guys to some degree b/c BMB and Millar sell out regularly, but the bullsheet gets on my nerves.

• Alisha Mynx
      November 16, 2010 at 9:02 pm — Reply

As much as I like BMB and Millar, I can’t help but feel this is one of those “shake things up simply to shake things up” deals. I think I’d be more surprised if people didn’t “shake things up” and just wrote compelling stories.

Not saying this will be a bad story, but it worries me just a bit.

8. Peruchito
    November 17, 2010 at 11:45 am — Reply

spider-man coming out of the closet would be something new and bold

9. DoggySpew
    November 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm — Reply

The death of Spider-Man ? Must be Galactus using a ginormous newspaper. Zing !