Critical Hit: A Major Spoilers D and D podcast
Celestial Crusade

This episode: Orem pays a visit to the Dean, and then it is back to the Lair of the Raven Queen.

[podcast]http://traffic.libsyn.com/majorspoilers/critical_hit_74.mp3[/podcast]

Direct Download

RSS Feed

Contact us at podcast@majorspoilers.com

Critical Hit T-Shirt Four Against the Void is over, but you can commemorate the trials and triumphs of the Torqueltones with the Critical Hit Season One Limited Edition T-Shirt. This classy, red armor-slot item features the likenesses of Orem, Randus, Torq and Smith! The season one shirt is perfect for a night on the town, gaming with friends, or facing down aberrant, poly-dimensional god-beings. (Funnelcakes and healing potions not included, Major Spoilers not responsible for excessive levels of awesome.)

This is your chance to own a piece of Critical Hit History, because once these shirts are gone, they’re gone for good.

Orders for this item end December 15, 2010. Order today and make each of YOUR rolls a Critical Hit!

Major Spoilers Podcast #252: Batman sells out

RETRO REVIEW: Alphabet Supes #1 (January 2000)

1. November 13, 2010 at 4:40 pm — Reply

Heh. Orem forgot his lizard sister. :P

2. Sarah
    November 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm — Reply

Yay, another episode with no combat! :D I love all this roleplaying. Thank you, Torqueltones, for making a loooong day in early holiday season retail better by giving me something fun to listen to on my drive in and on my break. Now, hold onto that obelisk! :D

Also, why was Randus dreaming about elephants? Ah, well, at least he’s not dreaming about the flaming skeletons who cut his arm off anymore. (Can you tell I’ve listened to each episode like four times? :D)

3. Ricco
    November 13, 2010 at 11:41 pm — Reply

No mention of the Children of Seven? No Benny Hill music during the skill encounter? Fer shame!

Seriously thou, it was a great episode, love the fact that the lack of fighting didn’t reduce the fun factor at all.

4. G-ham
    November 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm — Reply

Yeah Orem forgot his sister. The Lizard Wizard, episode 3

5. Roosterj
    November 14, 2010 at 6:33 pm — Reply

Great show!

A quick question for good DMs like Rodrigo. This episode seems to have a significant portion of the RP driven by a single character (This is NOT a dig on Stephen. He did a great job playing up Rob’s character, and brought some interesting light on motivations for a paragon path.)

What do you look for/how do you plan for such a long stint of single character, especially when trying to engage all members of the party? Do you try to plan out ‘equal time’ with other characters later on (IE plan out a bit of story for Ket), work the adventure to highlight another player’s fun/skill (add in an extra encounter because you know Matthew likes fighty-fighty), or don’t do anything and figure it will work itself out?

To put it more bluntly, how do you avoid getting a campaign that becomes X and his/her amazing friends?

• TorontoFrog
      November 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm — Reply

Generally, it’s better to avoid this kind of situations. Although I think Mr. Lopez managed it magistrally. 4E moto is ”Not split the party” The biggest reason is thats it’s way easier for monsters to dispatch a party without a tank, a controller or a healer. Now, since this was really only a RP encounter, it was ok. But I think you should never plan your adventure by saying that each party member should receive the same exposure, but being story driven. In this case, it become more Orem and is wonderful pals because he was the more talkative. But the intruduction of Ket, a more leaderish type of character may balance that.

Even if I don’t consider myself the equal of Rodrigo, heck I even DM in french and italian!, I think I must remind that the main reason for people playing table top RPG is to have fun. And the way to have fun at this is having a good story. Even if it imply that a smartass like Orem will receive more exposition!

6. November 15, 2010 at 6:00 am — Reply

Nice episode – somehow remindede me of the original Unforgotten Realm episodes :)

7. Jason
    November 15, 2010 at 8:30 pm — Reply

Hi guys.
    I love the show and I have listened to all of the episodes in season 3. I really want to get on of these shirts for Christmas and i suggest you think about expanding your episode scheduele. I get bored waiting for the next episode to come out and i sometimes lose track of the story. although it does help to have a recap at the beggining of the podcast, I would like the episodes to occur a little more frequently.
    Other than that I love the show and I play Dnd with my friends at my school. I recomend this to all of my friends and I support you guys fully. I do have one question though. Were did “Torqueltones” come from?
    Other than that I play Dnd in my free time and I read the novels by R.A. Salvatore. I make characters in may spare time and I have about 150 stored in my computer. I mainly GM and I sometimes play as a Gnome Bard from PH2. I try to get most of the books from my local game store and I would like to say to everyone except for Rodrigo, “Treat Him With Respect!!” I run an 7 person game and I play in an 8 person capmaign. He has it easy and managing the initiatives can be a chore sometimes but It would be a lot harded if you didn’t have a dozen and a half to look after.
    That aside I love the game and i would recomend you try the dungeon tiles for your next few podcasts. They are very handy and I use them for all of my campaigns.
    Thank you for the podcast and I hope the funnelcakes never spoil.
    All the best, Jason

• November 15, 2010 at 9:44 pm — Reply

There’s only one way the show will come out more often – if we have the funding for all of us to quit our day jobs and do Major Spoilers all the time. Since we don’t have 10 million sitting in the bank, don’t expect the schedule to change anytime soon, and quite possibly, depending on our current money in the bank, there may be longer gaps between shows. Thanks for listening!