Wednesday Sing-Along: BlizzCon Red Shirt Guy

REVIEW: Atomic Robo: Deadly Art of Science #5.1

1. Bob
    November 10, 2010 at 10:35 am — Reply

Wow, I can’t believe that they are going to kill him. No new, Peter Parker as Spiderman stories ever again. In a couple of years he would’ve turned fifty. Now we will never see the anniversary celebration. I was hoping when I had kids some day, that they could appreciate Spiderman like I did.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Captain America……..but they all died before Blackest Night, and now dead means dead.

2. TheNewNum.2
    November 10, 2010 at 10:58 am — Reply

Well, although Death of Blah is practically a cliché by now, most people even in the mainstream have at least heard of The Death of Superman story. So if it’s done well, it could be very cool.

Or, it could be Batman RIP.

• websnap
      November 10, 2010 at 12:57 pm — Reply

The Death of Superman story should not be compared to Batman R.I.P. because for the later it was only a sliver of the whole story where as for the former, you had a setup, death life with out and then resurrection. What should be compared with The Death of Superman story is the whole run of Morrisson on Batman, starting with Batman and Son and ending with Batman Inc., just to be fair. In comparison the R.I.P. arc should more be compared to only the issue where he died, a chapter not the whole story.

• November 10, 2010 at 2:57 pm — Reply

…or the Knightfall, KnightsEnd and KnightQuest stories, which were ACTUALLY designed to bookend the Death of Superman story.

• TheNewNum.2
        November 12, 2010 at 11:00 am — Reply

I was more meaning that in broad strokes it could be this great memorable story, or it could be something not quite so memorable.

3. seneca
    November 10, 2010 at 11:04 am — Reply

I am suprised they didn’t turn back into an awkward teenager by now by making a deal over his soul with Mr. Mxyzptlk to save his Aunt May from the deadly “Old Age” disease.

• November 10, 2010 at 2:59 pm — Reply

No, no. Couldn’t have been Mr. Mxyzptlk. he’s DC. They would have had to come up with some Marvel nefarious mystical interloper. You know, someone who would make a deal with you. Oh, well. Good thing there isn’t anyone in Marvel like THAT.

4. Venonmous Duck
    November 10, 2010 at 11:05 am — Reply

Well it only makes sense. starting with ASM #648 things were supposed to be turning around for him. New girlfriend, happier times….so they kill him. They would never let Spiderman stay happy for long.

5. CMonocle
    November 10, 2010 at 11:11 am — Reply

Marvel Meeting: “So… Who haven’t we killed yet?”

• November 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm — Reply

Totally what I thought; like, there is some hidden checklist out there.

6. Dues
    November 10, 2010 at 11:35 am — Reply

I’m still hoping they would explore that alternate future Julia Carpenter foretold at the conclusion of Grim Hunt. You know the possible future where if peter had killed the ressurected Kraven he would have turned into a brooding ruthless killer who is shunned by his friends and allies. that would have made for a good limited series or heack even an alternate universe series, but that’s just me.

• aerspyder
      November 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm — Reply

I agree. They never do Peter as a bad guy except to make him crazyu first. Seeing him do the slow slide towards the dark side would be a great What if?

• November 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm — Reply

So… you want a series where Spider-Man acts like Wolverine but has none of the excuses? ;p

• aerspyder
        November 11, 2010 at 11:31 am — Reply

excellent. I would be interested in that. A good what if? should answer those questions and let us see the bad along with the good.

And I will ignore the Wolverine crack . . . }8^{J>

7. Brian G.
    November 10, 2010 at 11:54 am — Reply

It’s just the death of Spider-Man, not Peter Parker. Spider-Girl got sick of thinking they’re related so they played checkers for it. She won so now he’ll be called Arachnid-Man.

• JacinB
      November 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm — Reply

Arach-no!

8. Bob
    November 10, 2010 at 12:04 pm — Reply

Who should kill him? I am rooting for Paste-Pot Pete.

• Einsteinic-Rocket
      November 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm — Reply

SWARM!

9. November 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm — Reply

Well, a new Captain America worked and a new Batman worked, so why not a new Spider-Man? The problem is there aren’t too many natural successors to this gig – and Ben Reilly definitely didn’t work out too well either. Plus, with the new (sigh) Spider-Man movie on the horizon, I can’t see any change they make sticking very well.

10. November 10, 2010 at 12:15 pm — Reply

That’s right, Joey. Keep doing what your doing. I’ll just sit here while your profits start dwindling. ;p

11. SpiderLover
    November 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm — Reply

It depends on how they do it, and if its just Peter throwing away the mask again I may scream.

12. November 10, 2010 at 12:50 pm — Reply

Dear Joe Quesada,

You’re trying to hard.

13. Thomas Jefferson Lee
    November 10, 2010 at 1:10 pm — Reply

Maybe Spider-man dies from embarassment due to the present state of his comic titles.

14. J Michael T
    November 10, 2010 at 3:12 pm — Reply

Shouldn’t the cover show a squashed bug then?

15. TaZ
    November 10, 2010 at 4:50 pm — Reply

Wait…you mean he’s still alive?

• Mike
      November 10, 2010 at 6:45 pm — Reply

Nahh…the one I knew died back in 2007. This must be some new guy…meh.

16. Dboy Mugg
    November 10, 2010 at 4:55 pm — Reply

Id be one to reiterate the “if done right” scenario as well. For too long I’ve felt that death stories rank alongside ‘foil embossed’ and ‘hologram’ covers as being gimmicky. I would actually love to see something that made me say…’oooooh sh#t!’. And perhaps actually miss a hero for a few months (titles not even on the rack), rather than seeing them replaced in the following issue by some fool trying to be someone they aren’t…or worse, having issue after issue trying to justify or undo the decision that was made. I don’t think Ive seen a good attempt in years, without actually knowing something was up. And truthfully, Marvel is on par with the ‘boy who cried wolf’ when dealing with superhero demise…so they would REALLY have to sell it to me.

17. Peruchito
    November 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm — Reply

i could have sworn he died once already.

18. Crash
    November 10, 2010 at 7:55 pm — Reply

Spider-Man has died at least twice that I have read. Once in Spider-Man vol. 1 #17 (which was actually well done like most of the Spider-Man vol. 1 issues) and once in The Other (which I actually enjoyed unlike most people).
    Death has become such a non-issue in comics these days I’m not even sure why they kill people anymore…

19. November 10, 2010 at 8:17 pm — Reply

*sigh*

20. Grotesk
    November 11, 2010 at 1:49 am — Reply

I’m thinking the Peter/MJ marriage will return and the Mephisto deal will crack and then since Joe Q won’t want to tell stories about the married Peter and MJ, he’ll have Peter lose his powers as a side effect of Mephisto’s deal being revoked or some such, or maybe he’ll give up the costume after Aunt May dies (again) and then… And then…

…And then at the last moment before the big touchdown during overtime they’ll cut to the Swiss Alps, where a braid-headed blonde girl gets bitten by a cheese-and-yodelling-crazed arachnid and gains powers which inspire her new identity of SPEIDI!

• Crash
      November 11, 2010 at 7:00 pm — Reply

I’m not having the greatest day and this brightened it up greatly. Thank you.

21. @lantis
    November 11, 2010 at 3:12 am — Reply

I’ll be okay so long as he doesn’t go back in time or get replaced by a guy who has a name which reminds me of a green alien rabbit from a cartoon of my youth.

22. chillidawg72
    November 11, 2010 at 9:45 am — Reply

Sounds like its an excuse for another lame costume. Spidey will be “lost in time” while some other schmuck takes his place, either Eddie Brock or they might even bring back Ben Reilly to take up the “Mantle” (Hate that word. The only mantle I ever encountered is above my fire place).

Hey maybe he’ll switch places with Spider-man 2099. Either way, Quesada will use the whole thing as an excuse to write Mary Jane out of the story.

If I sound like I’m being negative, you’re right. The past ten years of Spider-man has been a big disappointment for me.Still going to read it, because I feel like I have to. Damn it! I’m just part of the problem now.