ME WANT: Mattel announces Parademon 2-Pack

Austin Comic Con '10: Creator and guest updates

1. Navarre
    November 3, 2010 at 1:47 pm — Reply

A completely original character and cover shot! Awesome!

• TaZ
      November 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm — Reply

Looks a lot like a certain Star Spangled Avenger punching out Hitler on a cover from the 40’s. I’m guessing that most comic writers being a bit on the liberal side did that teaser as a tongue in cheek homage to that Captain American cover but the series will probably slam folks that have the nerve to think that there are actually real terrorist out there. Most comic companies have been afraid to deal with radical Islamic terrorist (or most other terrorists including Somali pirates, African death squads and genocides) in the way that comics did in the 40’s. American or Western European patriotism is now a joke or the tragic flaw of a villain and Batman’s gone from the dark, brooding loner with few allies to a corporate entity that’s opening up franchises (McBatman?).

2. Einsteinic-Rocket
    November 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm — Reply

The picture reminds me of a story I heard a while back and have only heard murmurs of…Frank Miller was going to do a Batman story where Batman fought al Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden or something along those lines, and I remember reading somewhere the decision was made to eliminate the Batman bit and just go with the story of a hero fighting real life terrorists. It was going to be called “Holy Terror, Batman!”… maybe this entire thing was a rumor, but I can’t help but be reminded of it after seeing the ad above. Assuming there is some truth in my recollection, does anyone think that Miller would have taken his story to Image Comics? Just throwing it out there…

3. Slappy
    November 3, 2010 at 4:59 pm — Reply

Not very long (A millioin years ago in comic terms) a gentleman with a fetish for dressing up as a flying rodent had an adopted son. While trying to to help out his recently discovered birth mother, the son was beaten with a crowbar then blown up by a pastey faced, green haired chap.
    Shortly after this incident the Honorable Ayatollah Khomeini made this green haired chap smile ear to ear by making him an ambassador to the United Nations with the specific intent to kill as many people as possible.
    Why did he do it? Because the Ayatollah Khomeini was insane and despised in the United States.
    Where have all the Brass Balls gone. Even South Park will only put Mohammed in a bear costume.

4. Navarre
    November 3, 2010 at 6:45 pm — Reply

I think we have become a nation afraid to express anything because, while freedom of speech is supposedly permitted, it is repeatedly condemned and sanctioned.

The United States- hypocritical? Shocking.

• November 3, 2010 at 7:25 pm — Reply

We seem to be reading a lot into this simple promo image, don’t we?

• Navarre
        November 3, 2010 at 8:01 pm — Reply

My statement, above, wasn’t a response to the promo image. It was a response to the other comments above me.

No, I don’t the first thing about “The Righteous Maker” other than what I see here and that it is clearly reflecting the original Captain America illustration in some fashion. I couldn’t have a valid opinion of the character or title until I saw more of it.

Nonetheless, I stand by my former comments on the state of free speech.

5. Damascus
    November 29, 2010 at 9:44 am — Reply

The line in the promo above sounds much cooler if you use a Samuel L. Jackson voice to read it in.