Stanley Lau knows how to crank out some pretty awesome images, and the stuff he’s doing for comics is out of this world.  His recent Birds of Prey #8 cover makes it into today’s installment of the Art Appreciation Moment of the Day.

Written by GAIL SIMONE

The stunning “Death of Oracle” arc continues, with complications that will resonate through the DC Universe! And find out more about Mortis, the most twisted BIRDS OF PREY villain ever, as she sets her sights on Hawk and Dove in this BATMAN INCORPORATED tie-in!

On sale JANUARY 12 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

via Deviant Art

Major Spoilers Costume Contest 2010: Meet the Winner

REVIEW: Adventure Comics #520

1. Navarre
    November 3, 2010 at 2:37 pm — Reply

Great illustration! Classic hero goodness.

Lady Blackhawk is seriously off-balance (if you want to be realistic) but, from the comic book medium’s perspective, all looks good.

• Ricco
      November 3, 2010 at 3:03 pm — Reply

I don’t think she’s off balance, they’re doing the “half the team jumps to the left, the other half jumps to the right while the lead jumps forward”

• Obsidian
        November 3, 2010 at 4:25 pm — Reply

I think Ricco is right… it seems like she’s jumping backwards, perhaps… but Navarre has a point, she does look a little off balance ( but I think she’s got it under control. ;) )

• Navarre
          November 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm — Reply

I’m thinking of it from a realistic martial artist perspective. But hey, this isn’t realism, it’s a great illustration. She’s Lady Blackhawk; she knows what she’s doing.

Most realistic and effective martial arts techniques would look terrible and uninteresting in an illustration anyway.

• November 4, 2010 at 8:09 am — Reply

Weird as this sounds, I thought she looked like she was jumping down. After all, she’s Lady Blackhawk – why shouldn’t she be jumping out of a plane?

• Navarre
          November 4, 2010 at 8:19 am — Reply

Maybe they’re all jumping from an airplane and Barbara is just really good at controlling her wheelchair?

2. Obsidian
    November 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm — Reply

I seriously want him to get the pencil duties for Batman & Robin or Red Robin… pretty much any Bat Book…

His artwork is worthy of framing for walls…

3. TaZ
    November 3, 2010 at 4:23 pm — Reply

Wow. That’s really good. Finally someone made Canary look like she would kick your ass instead of just showing off her fishnets. WHICH WILL RESONATE THROUGH THE ENTIRE DC UNIVERSE!!!!(blady, blady, blah).

4. November 3, 2010 at 5:45 pm — Reply

Even though Blackhawk, Canary, and Barbara sort of have the same face, I think this is phenomenal. Not exploitative or anything. Just really empowering.

5. Brian G.
    November 5, 2010 at 9:25 am — Reply

Artgerm has been a long favorite of mine. I first got into his work by reading my Street Fighter comics by UDON. I loved his series of Batgirl covers too.

• Damascus
      November 29, 2010 at 9:48 am — Reply

That’s funny that you mention that, I don’t know this artist and I’ve never read any of the Street Fighter books, but maybe just from seeing the promo pictures of the books I thought that Black Canary looked like she was pulled out of Street Fighter.