Now that Peter Jackson has been named the director for the two Hobbit films, it is time to go actor hunting.  Jackson and his partner, Fran Walsh have announced their first round of actors for the films with Martin Freeman set to play Bilbo Baggins.

The other actors include:

• Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield
  • Aidan Turner as Kili
  • Rob Kazinsky as Fili
  • Graham McTavish as Dwalin
  • John Callen as Oin
  • Stephen Hunter as Bombur
  • Mark Hadlow as Dori
  • Peter Hambleton – Gloin

Deadline is speculating that Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis will reprise their roles as Gandalf and Gollum, and it is rumored that James Nesbitt and David Tennant are in consideration for a couple roles.

Shooting begins in February 2011 – though the location has yet to be finalized (Hint: New Zealand), with the films to be released in 2012 and 2013.

via Deadline

Marvel Sneak Peek: Uncanny X-Force #2

Major Spoilers Adventures #66: Plan B and Everything

1. Frank
    October 22, 2010 at 9:35 am — Reply

Martin Freeman is spot on for Bilbo. As for the actors to play the dwarves, the acting chops for the actors will need to be top notch to show through the heavy makeup.

Maybe John Rhys-Davies can play Beorn. (wishful thinking on my part)

2. Brian G.
    October 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm — Reply

You wanna know how dumb I can be? Sure you do. I actually thought at first that they were all too tall for the rolls. LoL.

After I got over that bout of stupidity, I really like the choices. I think there are a few that I’ll have to see in the make up before I’m totally sold though. Here’s hoping that he can get … what’s his name (Agent Smith, V) … Hugo Weaving! to play Elron again.

3. mosdef
    October 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm — Reply

I love it, Freeman is perfect for Bilbo. I have a great feeling Jackson is gonna rock this, loved the book and now i can love the movie(s)!!

4. October 22, 2010 at 3:54 pm — Reply

Yaaaay Freeman FTW. He will give Bilbo the charm and “funnyness” the Jackson have no clue of how to bring into his characters.
    Now pleace find places for.
    Paul Giamatti
    Allan Rickman
    Gary Oldman &
    Sam Rockwell

5. Aldo
    October 22, 2010 at 9:20 pm — Reply

Awesome! Ever since the first rumors started circulating Freeman was my top choice. Can hardly wait to see what Jackson does with this one. Don’t get me wrong del toro would have been ok, but I’m happy that we will keep the Jackson feeling all through all the films.

6. justanothergeek
    October 24, 2010 at 4:16 pm — Reply

Martin Freeman has already been Arthur Dent and Dr. John Watson, and now he’s going to play Bilbo Baggins? That’s a hell of a list of british geek icons, wonder who he’s going to play next.

• October 24, 2010 at 9:47 pm — Reply

With a mustache, he’d make a passable young Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.