Marvel has released a sneak peek of Thunderstrike #1 from Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz, and Todd Nauck.  Take the jump to see what Eric Masterson is up to these days.

THUNDERSTRIKE #1 (of 5) (SEP100542)
Written by TOM DEFALCO
Cover by RON FRENZ

Years ago, Eric Masterson laid down his enchanted mace — and his life — in defense of his fellow Avengers. From the halls of Valhalla to the streets of New York, scant has been heard of the hero known as Thunderstrike since…until now. Has an unknown force returned him to the realm of the living?  Or has his enchanted weapon finally sought out a worthy successor?  And just why are Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter in a race against the clock to discover the truth? Lightning will strike twice as a legend returns to the Marvel Universe this November in Thunderstrike #1 (of 5)!

Thunderstrike #1 arrives in stores on November 24, 2010, and has a cover price of $3.99.

via Marvel

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

DC Comics Sneak Peek: Supergirl #57

Major Spoilers Podcast: Truth: Red, White and Black

1. TaZ
    October 19, 2010 at 1:59 pm — Reply

Old-school Kirby style. DAMN I like it!!

• Brent
      October 20, 2010 at 8:51 am — Reply

Steve Rogers does look Kirby-esque, but the facial expressions mostly remind me of John Romita Sr.

• Brent
        October 20, 2010 at 9:55 am — Reply

I meant to say Sal Buscema, not John Romita.

2. Luke
    October 19, 2010 at 11:15 pm — Reply

HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN. Seriously steve do you hang out with anyone that hasn’t died at least once.

3. October 20, 2010 at 9:24 am — Reply

My first thought was, Why? What purpose does Eric showing back up serve?
    It’s the 90’s all over. Or at least that is what I fear.

• TaZ
      October 20, 2010 at 11:55 am — Reply

Because why should the 12 Brightest Day characters have all the fun?

I would say it’s the “Heroic Age” thing going at Marvel. Thunderstrike was an interesting character, along with Beta Ray Bill. Both of them started off as “replacements” for Thor and then carved their own niche into storylines.

I’m thinking that Eric’s not really “alive” but his “essence” is within the enchanted mace and he “swaps” places with someone (a’la Don Blake/Thor and Rick Jones/Mar-Vell) based on the promo shot.

And Brent, you’re right on the similarities to Sal Buscema, including the “KRACCKAAAAAAABOOOOOMMMMM” “sound” effects, which is old-school nice!

• October 20, 2010 at 12:58 pm — Reply

They shouldn’t, I have stayed far and away from the monster that was Brightest Day/Blackest Night.

I myself love Beta Ray Bill, he is one of the coolest characters the Marvel universe has ever generated, he is up in my personal pantheon with Rom, Spaceknight.
        You are more than likely right with the mace being the basis of Eric’s spirit and who should wield it will host him, as he saves the day.

4. CMonocle
    October 20, 2010 at 1:39 pm — Reply

Hopefully there is a new costume on the way. That thing was already outdated when it came out.

• TaZ
      October 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm — Reply

I take it you’re not smitten with the “Biker/Viking” look, eh? But you’re right. Something a bit less “Thor” would be good.