It’s been ages since I’ve seen a well done adaptation of a William Shakespeare play.  The only version I’ve seen of The Tempest is Forbidden Planet, so seeing Julie Taymor’s adaptation could be a treat.

In her big-screen adaptation of Shakespeare’s mystical thriller “The Tempest,” Academy Award®–nominated Julie Taymor (“Across the Universe,” “Frida,” “Titus”) brings an original dynamic to the story by changing the gender of the sorcerer Prospero into the sorceress Prospera, portrayed by Oscar® winner Helen Mirren (“The Queen”). Prospera’s journey spirals through vengeance to forgiveness as she reigns over a magical island, cares for her young daughter, Miranda, and unleashes her powers against shipwrecked enemies in this exciting, masterly mix of romance, tragicomedy and the supernatural.

via Disney

NYCC'10: Marvel signing schedule

Zenescope Entertainment titles for December 2010

1. October 8, 2010 at 10:12 am — Reply

It looks real good. Taymor’s adaptation of TITUS is in my Top 10 movies list.

2. thedexter102
    October 8, 2010 at 11:03 am — Reply

I love The Tempest and ,although it’s not his best work ,it’s up their with Romeo and Juliet and Twelth Night. Across the Universe was boring and vapid. However I like the look of this. I may see it.

3. October 8, 2010 at 1:14 pm — Reply

OMFG – I am so exited for this movie…

4. Tria Guardian
    October 8, 2010 at 8:56 pm — Reply

This looks promising!

5. Capt Magellan
    October 9, 2010 at 11:22 am — Reply

I’m not sure changing Prospero to Prospera is going to do much except nullify the political allegory, but it looks like a visually impressive film.

And, for something other than “Forbidden Planet” as a Tempest adaptation, Peter Greenaway’s “Prospero’s Books” from 1991 with John Gielgud as Prospero is definitely worth a look. Greenaway’s stylings aren’t to everyone’s taste but it’s a faithful adaptation that was absolutely stunning in many ways.

6. martrodd
    October 10, 2010 at 7:50 pm — Reply

I cannot wait until December 10! What a cast! And I love Taymor and Mirren!

Let us not forget that when Claremont wanted to code-name Kitty Pryde Ariel. He was reminded you can’t have an Ariel without a Caliban, a la The Tempest.