The Galactus 19-inch Deluxe Figure from Hasbro, finally arrived at the Major Spoilers headquarters this weekend. Take the jump for a quick look at the figures as I break the collector rule, by taking them out of the box.

As a figure, Galactus is massive.  At 19-inches high, it is by far the largest action figure in the Major Spoilers Action Figure Collection, dwarfing the Marvel Legends Apocalypse figure by a good six inches or so.  The Marvel 3 3/4″ line is quite popular, but for me, they are a bit small.  While having a Silver Surfer in the box is nice, I found, right out of the box that his joints were already super loose, making it very difficult to pose the figure.

On the plus side, now that DC Direct has their own line of 3 3/4″ figures, massive crossover events are bound to happen.

Action figure crossovers just around the corner

While the smaller figure line continues to be popular, I much prefer the 6-inch figures. It would have been really cool if Hasbrol had created a 27-inch figure as it would have worked in the six-inch line, and would totally have made the 3 3/4″ figures tremble at the sight of the Devourer of Worlds.

Back to Galactus, as far as the sculpt goes, it is a super design. The figure is surprisingly poseable, and it is solid enough that getting it to stand under its own weight is an easy task. I like the transparent area on top of the head that allows the jewels to light up, and when you press the Galactus voice button the eyes and head light up to create an imposing figure.  Of course the light isn’t bright enough easily be seen in the daylight, but firing it off at night causes quite the glow.

The price for this figure is all over the place, I’ve heard you can find this figure at Target for $50.00, and I’ve seen online stores sell it for $65.00.  If you ordered it through Diamond, or picked it up at the San Diego Comic Con the price skyrockets to $100.00.  It’s a nice figure, sure, but not worth that much scratch.

BOTTOM LINE: GET IT!

If you are looking to recreate you favorite comic book covers, at some point you are going to need a Galactus figure.  The sculpt is great, it is super massive, and it makes a great addition to the action figure collection.

Rating: ★★★★☆

Critical Hit #65: Trouble at Warehouse 13

Otacool 3: Worldwide Workspaces announced

1. Gibralter
    September 11, 2010 at 11:58 pm — Reply

Nice. I need one now. Dangit Stephen stop making me spend my money.

2. Antonio Sanciolo
    September 12, 2010 at 12:27 am — Reply

very nice.
    what would be an equivalent for DC to release? a massive anti-monitor?

• September 12, 2010 at 12:50 am — Reply

There was a DC Universe Anti-Monitor figure released at the 2009 San Diego Comic Con. You had to have a crap ton of points, and could only buy the figure at the con. All other 3 3/4″ Anti-Monitors were normal sized, which was a real bummer.

3. September 12, 2010 at 4:35 am — Reply

My local comic book shop had one of these in the other day and unfortunately, at a little over £60 it would be quite a big purchase for a poor student like myself. Still, it took all I had not to start thinking of my overdraft as free money and buy the sucker!

4. arcee
    September 12, 2010 at 5:33 am — Reply

Where were all these action figures when I was a kid? Kids today are so damn lucky, now if they’d only GET OFF MY LAWN. -wink!-

5. Allen Jones
    September 12, 2010 at 12:34 pm — Reply

What is that last quote from? I’ve been racking my mind the last few minutes trying to figure out where that’s from

• arcee
      September 12, 2010 at 1:19 pm — Reply

Re: G’s last quote

Reminds me a bit of the nighttime scene (Wayne and Garth looking at the stars) from the first Wayne’s World movie.

• September 13, 2010 at 9:40 am — Reply

Just made it up from the millions of times people have said it over the last 10,000 years…

6. September 12, 2010 at 4:17 pm — Reply

An amazing figure, to be sure, but due to the design of the hands having “fingerless gloves” I can’t help but imagining this galactus clad in a tattered coat, looking grizzled and standing around a garbage-can fire with other homeless cosmic entities! :D

7. xrayguy
    September 12, 2010 at 8:32 pm — Reply

Darkseid vs. Galactus-who wins?

• Antonio Sanciolo
      September 12, 2010 at 8:35 pm — Reply

has to be galactus.
      darkseid is equivalent unto a god, the marvel universe paints galactus as a celestial and they are above gods; at the very least they are above thor, hercules et al.

8. OS Perry
    September 13, 2010 at 12:10 am — Reply

How does it compare to the Build a Galactus figure released in parts in the old Marvel Legends packs a few years ago… The Sentinel back then rocked!

9. Brian Duff
    September 13, 2010 at 3:54 am — Reply

Galactus: “What if C-A-T…. really spelled DOG.”

10. outburst
    September 13, 2010 at 6:59 am — Reply

DC Direct has a 3 3/4″ line???
    Or do you mean Mattel’s DC Universe?