Major Spoilers Comic Book Podcast

This issue: The Major Spoilers Crew talk about the celebrities they would like to meet and have a real in-depth conversation with. They also discuss the use of real-world versus fictional cities in comics.

[podcast]http://traffic.libsyn.com/majorspoilers/majorspoilers224.mp3[/podcast]

Direct Download

RSS Feed

Podcast Alley

Contact us at podcast@majorspoilers.com

What will Supernatural - The Animation look like?

Critical Hit #60: The Game Master's Workshop - Part 3

1. brenton8090
    August 8, 2010 at 8:51 am — Reply

I have a comment on your fake city/real city conversation, about Smallville and the like, but it must be read as comic book guy.

*ahem*

If you recall, in the JLA/Avengers crossover which is still cannon in the DCU, the DC Universe Earth is physically larger than the Marvel Earth or our Earth which is why there are more cities with more people. There is a handy map, and I think it is an interesting way to handle problems like “why are there so many people and so many crimes all the time? Surely there isn’t a large enough population to handle such a high concentration of superheroes?”

• August 8, 2010 at 11:51 am — Reply

I get what you’re saying. But that just strikes me as a “Superman has a pocket in his cape” argument.

2. TheNewNum.2
    August 8, 2010 at 8:07 pm — Reply

Stephen is on my list… although after this discussion I don’t think we’d be going to a movie… I just like to sit back and enjoy the ride, leaving reality at the door. I even enjoyed Transformers II for what it was, a stupid but fun ride.

• August 8, 2010 at 9:13 pm — Reply

Stephen is on my list…
      No you wouldn’t… I’m really quite boring in real life.

3. peter
    August 9, 2010 at 10:22 am — Reply

I hate the way they portray Belgium in movies. Every time I see a bit of a hollywood movie where they have a scene that takes place in Belgium, I never get the feeling that the scenery is anything like Belgium at all.

another point I wanted to elaborate on. European comics.

some in my eyes european comics you should really check when or if they get translated.
    Okko
    Blacksad
    orbital
    universal war one
    Alim the tanner
    sabels en galjoenen (what translates to something like “sabers” or “cutlasses” and galleons

4. August 9, 2010 at 10:24 am — Reply

I feel that Metropolis of the DCU and New York of the MU have are equally as valid seeing as aliens, mutants, Gods, time traveling overlords come down on a regular basis and cause a ruckus. It all depends on if the story sucks or not.

My list…
    Frank Miller
    Felica Day
    Larry David
    Matthew Peterson

• August 9, 2010 at 11:54 pm — Reply

My list…
      Frank Miller
      Felica Day
      Larry David
      Matthew Peterson

I kind of wish I was as interesting as them, though you might have a “Curb Your Enthusiasm” experience with me. :)

5. Brian G.
    August 9, 2010 at 2:21 pm — Reply

reply to Comment from Tim in Holland, Pa: MonsterCon in Cherry Hill, NJ is indeed awesome! I went to the last one and it was a really awesome show. Sadly I’m going to be missing this one. :(

• Brian G.
      August 10, 2010 at 8:00 am — Reply

Also wanted to throw in my two cents that I always thought that Philly was Gotham. Maybe it’s because that’s where I grew up or maybe it’s because there are soooo many similarities between the two cities. My reasons were:

1. It’s a city based on 2 rivers (Deleware and Skyukill Rivers) even if it’s not an island.

2. If Metropolis is New York, the two cities have about the same implied distance between them.

3. Within the city domain but on the far outskirts, there is an area of extreme wealth where a Wayne Manor would be. (Society Hill)

4. It’s an economic and residential giant in the country.

5. it’s dirty as all hell and is known to be one of the most dangerous places in the country (especially for murder. We used to lead the country in Homicide.)

6. across the river is another stain on America’s good name (and one time Murder capital of the country)… Camden, NJ (a.k.a – Bludhaven)

6. August 10, 2010 at 10:16 am — Reply

Hey, guys. What was that cartoon Stephen and Rodrigo was talking about? I’m always looking for something for my 3 year-old (about to be 4 in a few days). I couldn’t tell what you were saying. Sounded like Benten? Ben Tennant? I don’t think it was Tin Tin…

• Brian G.
      August 10, 2010 at 10:42 am — Reply

It’s called “Ben 10”.

• August 10, 2010 at 11:20 am — Reply

You might want to watch an episode of two of Ben10 before letting the kid see it. My son stumbled upon it when he was 2 and fell in love with a few episodes. I’ve downloaded all the previous seasons for his iPad, but he still focuses on a few old episodes and most of the new ones.

7. August 11, 2010 at 9:07 pm — Reply

I’ma have to part ways with you guys on this one. I love meeting and interacting with people at Comic-Con, whether it’s creators or fellow like minded individuals. There are a few jerks, but every nice person you chat up with in lines makes it totally worth it. After all, isn’t the whole point of a convention to convene and interact with your fellow geek?

Matthew, you said you didn’t wanna seem dumb in front of these people, but if you just relax and BE, then you’ll be fine. They may be very talented and smart people, but they are just people. Even if I did have an embarrassing episode in front of one of my favorite authors, I’d rather have an embarrassing moment than no moment at all.

And even if it’s just a friendly hand shake and an “I really love your work”, you can tell their never bothered by it. Why would anyone get bothered by people telling them how great they were?