The international UN hero team will arrive in November, according to DC Comics.  The new series will be written by Nick Spencer and CAFU, and will feature a 20-page main story, and a 10-page backup co-feature.

“The new series casts the team as a covert special ops force dealing with global threats the rest of the DCU don’t even know exist — all the while struggling with their own choices to become agents and the tortured pasts they’re running from,” said Wil Moss, editor for the series.  “With character-first storytelling and threats exploding from real-world headlines, this relaunch of T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS will offer something new, different, and daring for both today’s broader comics audience and fans of the original team.

T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS will prove that there are still fresh new ways to approach the superhero team concept nd it will provide a platform to show off two very talented new creators — the writer, Nick Spencer, and the artist, CAFU.”

If you don’t know who the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents are, then you might want to check out the Hero History for each of the characters.

Zenescope Sneak Peek of the Week

12-Gauge Comics Solicitations for October 2010

1. July 19, 2010 at 9:43 am — Reply

Not really sure what to make of this (Matthew’s Hero Histories peeked my interest in THUNDER as a concept, so I’m curious), but for some reason, Mento as a dude in a business suit & helmet just cracks me up.

• July 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm — Reply

Not to be pedantic, but Mento was a member of the Doom Patrol. That’s Menthor. Both of them have nearly identical powers and paraphernalia, though…

• July 20, 2010 at 4:35 am — Reply

D’oh. Thanks for the correction. Those names are too damn close.

• Damascus
        July 31, 2010 at 1:53 pm — Reply

Menthor kinda makes me think of menthol cigarettes though, just a silly name.

2. TaZ
    July 19, 2010 at 11:13 am — Reply

Great! Thanks to the “Hero Histories” I’ve got background on the original series for this group.

3. Larry King
    July 19, 2010 at 12:03 pm — Reply

I have to say I will pick up probably the first two issues. But I have the slight feeling that it will be in the same “Dark and Gritty” vein as the proposed series from a few years back, the one where people where getting sliced in half, and No-Man’s bodies are getting graphicly blown apart.

• July 19, 2010 at 2:59 pm — Reply

I wouldn’t doubt it… John Carbonaro, who owned the rights and had been championing the characters for years, passed away recently, and it was reportedly he who put thekibosh on the last DC deal because of that violent content.

4. MaximusRift
    July 19, 2010 at 1:18 pm — Reply

DC owes you money, Matthew. Your one of the reasons I’m gonna pick this up.

Another reason is the name of the artist: CAFU. It’s just so much fun to say! CAFU! It’s even better with an exclamation piont in front of it! ^_^

5. July 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm — Reply

I’m thrilled to note that NoMan seems to be exactly as he was in the 60s, which makes me think this will be a “Next Generation” of T.H.U.N.D.E.R. series.

Since the JSA went out in 1951, and the JLA didn’t start until “a few years ago,” this might be a cool way to fill in the history of the DCU, putting the original agents in their Cold War setting and keeping their stories unchanged.

Heck, we could get really froogy and start absorbing other companies and backfill that way. Maybe the First Comics stories took place in the 80’s? :)

6. brainypirate
    July 20, 2010 at 1:49 am — Reply

Because DC never had a group like the Global Guardians to cover the international front, did it? Oh, wait……

I hope these folks don’t get used as cannon-fodder….