DC Comics has announced it will be giving Static his own ongoing series (again) starting in 2011.   Felicia Henderson will take on the writing duties.

“When I met Dan DiDio, the first character we ever discussed was Static. Writing Teen Titans gave me an opportunity to play with this character a little. Now he’s getting his own book and I’m writing it! I’m a big Dwayne McDuffie’s fan, so it’s a privilege to reimagine the coming-of-age of a character he created. If not for the big bang, Static would be a regular, awkward, teenage guy trying to find himself — chasing girls, playing video games, downloading underground mixes of his favorite music. Instead, he has no time to find himself because the call of the superhero has found him. It’s a comic book writing dream for me.”

I’m on board, what about you?

SDCC'10: Oni Press at San Diego Comic Con

Little Archie joins the Tiny Titans (aw, yeah)

1. Ray
    July 18, 2010 at 1:09 pm — Reply

I hope they put him in gotham, kidding.

Static is a good character. this is a good thing.

2. Red Star
    July 18, 2010 at 3:21 pm — Reply

don’t care for Henderson’s writing so I’ll pass

3. BallsMonkey
    July 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm — Reply

Static, yes. Felicia Henderson, HELL NO!

4. Michael M Jones
    July 18, 2010 at 5:23 pm — Reply

I mean, I actually physically yelled “No” into the empty room when I saw who was writing this series. Don’t get me wrong: I’d LOVE to see an ongoing Static series again, but I hate Felicia Henderson’s writing voice. It’s had me tempted to outright drop the Teen Titans when so many other factors couldn’t, and I don’t see her doing Static on his own any better.
    Someone call Dwayne McDuffie. :<

• Brother129
      July 18, 2010 at 6:05 pm — Reply

My sentiments EXACTLY.

• July 19, 2010 at 5:23 am — Reply

Seconded. I’m half convinced DC wants this to fail if they’re giving it to her rather than THE MAN WHO CREATED STATIC.

5. Sarcasm Kid
    July 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm — Reply

As long as it’s not Krul, Wallace, or their love child I’m okay with it.

6. Ian
    July 18, 2010 at 6:59 pm — Reply

It’s time for static to update his look. Like all the hubub around the WW redesign, the jacket is to 90’s. And characters like Static and Web that wear useless goggles on their heads just look silly to me.

7. duckface
    July 19, 2010 at 1:50 am — Reply

With Henderson writing, it’s already got one foot in the grave. It’s like DC wants it to fail.

8. Brian G.
    July 19, 2010 at 7:29 am — Reply

I’ll give it a chance … people said the same about Adam Beechan writing Batman Beyond and his first issue was fantastic. I think that there is a writer for every project. I’ve been surprised before. Perhaps I will be this time.