Critical Hit: A Major Spoilers D and D podcast

This episode: This is it! It’s do or die time for our heroes.

[podcast]http://traffic.libsyn.com/majorspoilers/critical_hit_56.mp3[/podcast]

Direct Download

RSS Feed

Encounter images, after the jump!

Contact us at podcast@majorspoilers.com

SDCC'10: Check out the over the top packaging for Starro

REVIEW: The Royal Historian of Oz #1

1. plato
    July 10, 2010 at 11:07 am — Reply

Rather then fighting him, you all should have asked if you could help him destroy the other gods.

2. TheNewNum.2
    July 10, 2010 at 11:51 am — Reply

So this is more of a “The End, Part 1”? Steven said things would continue next week… so we still aren’t at the season finale?

• TheNewNum.2
      July 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm — Reply

Crap, sorry Stephen. Typo.

3. Spaceboots
    July 10, 2010 at 12:47 pm — Reply

This is awesome! I’m listening right now.

I’m glad Smith finally died, now get over it, Rob! Go team Coil!

4. Lizzie
    July 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm — Reply

So are you guys going to keep recording the Torqultones adventures after the Four against the Void campaign?

5. Ricco
    July 10, 2010 at 1:57 pm — Reply

Nice episode, I would have asked if Shatters could put his plan on hold until they could come up with a better idea.

P.S.- My hearing most be going bad ‘cuz I could swear I heard Matthew play rock/paper/scissors against himself…

• Adrik
      July 15, 2010 at 6:07 pm — Reply

Yes Ricco, he did play Rock Paper scissors again him self. Scissors was Reaping Strike, paper was Come back strike, and Rock was Unstoppable. I believe.

6. Matt
    July 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm — Reply

Kinda reminds me of the final battle in a Final Fantasy Game. Which is cool.

7. Hafwit
    July 10, 2010 at 3:52 pm — Reply

I’ve yet tolisten to it, but judging from the mini our heroes are up against… the Violator?

8. Alexander
    July 10, 2010 at 9:06 pm — Reply

Thoni is definetely going to come out of nowhere for the second time and save their lives. We all miss Smith!!!! Where will they get their magic items from now on?

• TheNewNum.2
      July 11, 2010 at 7:45 am — Reply

No he ain’t. Thoni is evil… its just a really really really long con. that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• Ricco
        July 11, 2010 at 11:45 am — Reply

He worked with Queenie, so he’e literaly on the side of the angels.

9. Jackie
    July 10, 2010 at 9:47 pm — Reply

Thank god I was alone driving home from the airport when I was listening to this because I was laughing out loud and pretty sure people would give me weird looks! You guys rock don’t end it …..please :)

10. Roosterj
    July 10, 2010 at 10:16 pm — Reply

As always, great job. I’m curious about the two stage boss, knowing Rodrigo’s effort at reskinning monsters.

The first seems like Maiko, oni night haunter.
    The second stage (single floating head w/snake hair) seems beholder-like.

Rodrigo agains shows his awesomeness by baiting the party blow their good spells/abilities on an elite, only to set them up for a solo. I’ll be interested to see how the group deals with the new challenge.

11. Alexander
    July 11, 2010 at 1:37 am — Reply

I remember the first time my group quickly took out a solo monster. It was just as awesome as Torq flip jump/spin attack, but it was a balor at lv. 7 during 3.5.
    P.S. Rodrigouz, as a D.M., have you ever had times when you do not have enough players to go through with an effective game. At this point, should the D.M. also saddle up, or is there an alternative (besides giving players two characters each, my friends are honestly noobs)
    Giant fricking statue… right after we kill a god.

• Rodrigo
      July 11, 2010 at 1:48 am — Reply

Do you mean, if you don’t have enough players to run a single session or a full ongoing game?

• Alexander
        July 13, 2010 at 11:28 pm — Reply

A full on Campaign was my plan. I have had this idea for a war against the undead going around in my head for some time now, so I decided to make an Eberron D&D campaign. We actually just began playing the first session (one round into combat) a while back with a:
        Goliath Fighter
        Dragonborn Warlord
        Half-Elf Bard (my character)

12. TheNewNum.2
    July 11, 2010 at 7:51 am — Reply

Will we ever find out exactly what was going on with Smith? Was The Thing That Shatters The Sky inside Smith, or *WAS* Smith the Lunar Wolf-God? We know that Smith is not his real name after all…

• Ricco
      July 11, 2010 at 11:50 am — Reply

I think that when Rodrigo asked Smith if he had any last words it was Brian’s cue to say Smith real name and background(smith is his job not his name). Besides even if they defeat Shatner it’s not over. Shatner was the one moon god on “their side” it’s the OTHER Gods and their minions that they need to stop, the current fight is basicaly an internal struggle in enemy territory.

• Rodrigo
        July 12, 2010 at 1:30 am — Reply

Did you mean Rob?

• Ricco
          July 12, 2010 at 8:53 am — Reply

Yes, for some reason I confuse those two…

13. Matt
    July 11, 2010 at 7:51 am — Reply

Did anyone else notice that the first attack by Orem was a 6+14+2 which is 22, not 16?

• July 11, 2010 at 9:49 am — Reply

Nope – the six was the roll, the 14 was with all the bonus stuff with the wand of accuracy added to it. Not 6+14…the maths were right…

14. Xybec Katta
    July 11, 2010 at 6:40 pm — Reply

Shouldn’t the boss have started flashing red when he was bloodied. That’s what I was taught from video games hehe

15. Mark
    July 12, 2010 at 1:53 pm — Reply

Once the adventure is over, I’d love to hear Rodrigo explain how things would have gone down if the party had refused to use Smith as a fuse. And I wonder how much of this final encounter Rodrigo had planned out from the beginning? I’m assuming Smith was always “carrying around” the god, but did he always intend for the moon tower to be the mechanism for the releasing of said god?

Anyway, great stuff as usual. If this is indeed the end, hopefully you guys have another adventure cooked up.

16. Mark
    July 12, 2010 at 3:11 pm — Reply

When was the break between season 1 and 2? I didn’t realize you guys had established a break point anywhere, since it’s all been one story arc.

Glad to hear that the best podcast in the land will be continuing.

• Ricco
      July 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm — Reply

I think season 1 ended at Tuberville (it was the last natural world bound adventure).

Season 2 started when they met with the Cogs and company right before leaving for the moon.

I say we name season 1 “Grey Harvest” (for Torq’s skin)
      Season 2 should be “Something, Something, Something, Reset Button”

17. omrey
    July 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm — Reply

love everything about the Adventure i would love to get the story line and out line to run fro my game if Rodrigo would not mind please let me know thanks

• July 12, 2010 at 9:42 pm — Reply

I don’t really keep any sort of decipherable outline, just a handful of reminder-type notes.

*Remind Stephen about his wand of accuracy
      *Introduce Coil
      *Attempt to kill party

• Matt
        July 14, 2010 at 9:05 am — Reply

So you attempt to kill the party and then give them a way to live?

PS I STAB THE BOMB!

18. Vorpal
    July 13, 2010 at 7:26 pm — Reply

Does Matthew have some sort of Rock-Paper-Scissors Generator on his computer? Because that would be AWESOME. I literally cracked up in public three times listening to this. Sad though, that Torq didn’t crit so his throwing axe could come back around the moon again… Ah well! Next encounter!

Also, I loved how the group basically made it 8 spots taken up vs. 1. Tactics = awesome.

19. Mordekin
    July 15, 2010 at 6:30 am — Reply

Great Episode, and I cannot wait for the end of Season 3. Kudos to Stephen for the editing, and I loved the twist involving Smith.

• July 15, 2010 at 9:30 am — Reply

Well it will be a while before Season 3 comes to an end, considering it hasn’t even started yet ;)

• Mordekin
        July 16, 2010 at 6:29 am — Reply

Oh my bad! I meant Season 2 :-)

20. TimmyG
    July 16, 2010 at 1:26 pm — Reply

Great episode. It sounded like you guys had a great time recording this one as well. At one point I thought Brian and Rob might have peed themselves. Good times. Anyway…Rodrigo, you are very creative and are helping me to challenge my players more. Initially, when your players were going down in every encounter, I thought your encounters were way too hard. However, I recently challenged my players with a nearly impossible encounter and they had an absolute blast. It kept them engaged and focused and I didn’t have to wrangle them in near as much. Please don’t stop this podcast because I love it.

21. Quinn
    August 3, 2010 at 11:15 pm — Reply

Smith? SMITH!!! SSSSMMMMIIIITTTTHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. HenrySpock
    May 12, 2014 at 7:44 am — Reply

“I can see you are a shrewd negotiator”. Awesome.