From the Well, This Was Predictable Department comes news that Peter Jackson is in negotiations to direct both Hobbit movies, following the exit of Guillermo del Toro, and a search for a replacement that turned up nothing. While the negotiations continue, there is still that looming issue of funding, the films being greenlit, and what will happen with MGM.

Quite frankly, I’m surprised it took this long for everyone to come to the realization that Jackson should have been heading this from the beginning. He obviously has a love for the franchise, and understands what needs to happen in order to pull it off effectively. I just hope the movie gets the go-ahead to be made.

via THR

Major Spoilers Podcast #213: Comic Book Talk

Top Cow Sneak Peek: Velocity #1

1. Dboy Mugg
    June 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm — Reply

Im surprised it took so long to notice that Peter Jackson was “standing in the room” as well. I am also surprised, perhaps more confused, that it has taken these films so long to be given a green light. When you look at the LOTR movies, and compare black and red figures, you’d think the question of funding would be an after thought. HAHA, this is why I will never make it in Hollywood.

• June 26, 2010 at 5:41 pm — Reply

The problem isn’t funding in the general sense, but the fact that MGM is bankrupt and in buyout stage. Until someone buys the company, or all the company is dissolved with all rights being claimed by banks and lien holders, Warner Bros. and the Hobbit can’t move forward.

2. Kansas
    June 26, 2010 at 9:45 pm — Reply

I miss fat Peter Jackson; skinny Peter Jackson is kinda scary. I have nothing against Guillermo but it always struck me as dead funny that his name wasn’t at the top of the list. I mean sure nobody really liked king kong that much, but it seems like Peter should get the first crack at it. Maybe some people finally got around to seeing Meet the Feebles and freaked way the heck out.

3. Lamond
    June 26, 2010 at 11:22 pm — Reply

He does look scary…maybe he can be one of the Hobbits…lol

4. Brian Duff
    June 27, 2010 at 7:45 am — Reply

Oddly enough, compare a photograph of the skinny Peter Jackson to a photo of Dominic Monaghan in his bearded phase. I swear they could look related or something. As for The Hobbit, hopefully it gets done with a bit more updated flair than the LOTR movies were. But it’s gonna be fun to see Gandalf and Bilbo going on this journey. I’m probably gonna expect some song to break out during an moment of transition like the old cartoons… :-P

5. tidge
    June 27, 2010 at 5:28 pm — Reply

GAH! Peter Jackson et al. (et ux.?) Made a visually wonderful LotR saga, but I thought they made most of the characters a little too cartoonish which was a disservice to the source material.

As I’ve written before, the only possible reason PJ is directing The Hobbit is because he’s thought of more Dwarven flatulence jokes.

6. Damascus
    June 29, 2010 at 1:15 am — Reply

I like the idea, I’d never read LOTR before the movies came out, I really didn’t know anything about them but I loved them. Peter Jackson did a great job on a series of movies that’s little more than walking (to use Kevin Smith’s summary) and it’d be nice if the man that helmed the Fellowship, Two Towers and Return of the King should get to finish it out and knock the Hobbit out of the park. I do hope there’s still as much of an audience for the material as there was when the others came out. Either that, or I’ll take a sequel to Dead Alive, either way I’m happy.

7. Mike Keller
    July 1, 2010 at 11:32 am — Reply

If he can only do like George Lucas, and keep chipping away at it (ref: Clone Wars).
    There are some cool epic stories in ‘The Silmarillion’ that would make great films if done right. At least we know there will be some continuity with ‘The Hobbit’.

• Damascus
      July 1, 2010 at 5:06 pm — Reply

I hope the Silmarillion was good if they ever do try to make it into a movie; I own the book and have tried to read it but it was so dry and hard to get through it. I couldn’t get to the exciting parts.

• tidge
        July 1, 2010 at 9:28 pm — Reply

If you want to appreciate the Silmarillion, you have to listen to the Martin Shaw reading of the audiobook. I also find the text very difficult to read, but the Shaw reading is very lyrical and the whole work *feels* more like story-time.