I love watching really good fan films. There’s something about the passion and care that goes into a good film that shows the love for the character AND the medium of video/film. With a budget of $27,000, shooting on high-definition, and taking the time to find actors, costumes and props, City of Scars delivers.

When the Joker escapes from Arkham and murders the parents of a young boy, Batman recalls the pain of losing his own parents as a child. He is pushed past his limits to the point where his focus becomes revenge on all who stand in his way, including many of Gotham’s underworld. Finally, Batman is forced to look at the psychological profile of his own mind and accept the consequences of his life to find resolve.

The entire movie after the jump.

Excellent job, and has the production quality I expect to see in my fan films.

via DailyMotion

Major Spoilers Poll of the Week: The Complete Major Spoilers Experience

The four Airbender tribes arrive

1. Stallone
    June 22, 2010 at 3:45 pm — Reply

That was incredible!

I felt the Joker was the only down point in the movie, he had the look was the acting and voice just wasn’t

awesome fan made work though, kudos to the creators..watched it through without flinching!

• Ryan
      June 22, 2010 at 8:38 pm — Reply

I completely agree, the Joker was rather bland. However, Harley was great.

2. Russell
    June 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm — Reply

I really like this. I remember another Batman fan film that had a pretty large budget that was also great. Same with the Lobo one. I do wonder why anyone would spend $27,000 on a film when it will be impossible to ever recoup any money due to copy right. Also, how do you raise capital for a film while pitching “you’ll recover 0% of your investment”? Can someone explain?

• June 22, 2010 at 11:58 pm — Reply

@Russell: So they can put it on their resume.

I can’t see anything here. This link doesn’t work.

3. Dboy Mugg
    June 22, 2010 at 8:18 pm — Reply

WOW. that. was. AMAZING.

4. Jim
    June 23, 2010 at 12:46 am — Reply

The quality was very good. I was surprised how many extras there were in this. The only thing that bugged me was the incessant voice-over narration. Maybe that’s necessary in a film this short, but I liked the movie better when it wasn’t happening.

5. Frank
    June 23, 2010 at 8:28 am — Reply

Very good movie. It was well written, directed and acted.

Regarding the Joker, While this fellow can’t match the performances of Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger, he does a pretty good job. He is better than some of the hacks who played the Joker.

• Erik
      June 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm — Reply

I agree Frank. I think we have been spoiled by some amazing Jokers in recent years. But really this guy did a fine job.

6. Navarre
    June 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm — Reply

Black Canary is listed in the end credits. I can only assume she is the female bartender at the club. If so, there is no way she got owned like that from two thugs. Maybe it’s an early appearance before her full training, dunno.

7. mathews_aprentice
    June 23, 2010 at 2:47 pm — Reply

wow what a great film a question we have all asked played out perfect with good production quality the joker could have been a little madder but over all four and a half slises of meat loaf loved it

8. June 24, 2010 at 6:59 pm — Reply

Pretty damn good! I really liked the end. I think they may have tried to cram a few to many cameos in but watevs.

9. Navarre
    June 25, 2010 at 7:43 am — Reply

It’s good enough that the writers should have their own 60 minute television series at least.