Even though the Ryan Reynolds’ Green Lantern movie is a year away, Warner Bros. has already committed to making a sequel. It’s kind of a no brainer these days to have a three picture deal when dealing with big properties, and unless the movie really tanks (Superman Returns) it’s a sure bet something else is in the works. For Warner to go ahead and announce that Greg Berlanti, Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim are now writing a treatment for the second film gives me hopes that the first film is full of awesome sauce.

via THR

Moonstone Books for October 2010

Green Lantern trio hired to write The Flash

1. duckface
    June 10, 2010 at 8:10 am — Reply

I feel bad for Superman Returns. It made more than Wolverine and just $5mn less than Batman Begins, and both got sequels (though I’d imagine both were made for less than $250mn).

Anyway, Re: Green Lantern – Awesome news. I’ve gone from mildly interested to ecstatic. But I hope they don’t try putting Blake Lively in the Star Sapphire outfit.

• websnap
      June 10, 2010 at 9:29 am — Reply

I hear ya on the Superman Returns. The movies only major flaw was (to me) it’s length. If it was shorter (by, like 30 minutes) it could have been a tight, action-packed film but instead it seemed to drag on 2.5 hours. Routh wasn’t a bad Superman, though.

I would LOVE to see Blake lively in a Star Sapphire outfit. Not for the story, though… just for kicks while she’s laying about the house. My house preferably. On a side note, I hope she goes brunette for the movie and they don’t decide to keep her blonde so that “fans” will recognize her. Something tells me she would have made a better Jillian “Cowgirl” Pearlman.

• June 10, 2010 at 12:39 pm — Reply

I could never get past the “Superman as home-wrecker” scenario…

• TaZ
          June 10, 2010 at 1:52 pm — Reply

Same here, Matthew. That’s one film franchise that I defintely will NOT be arguing against a “reboot”.

• June 10, 2010 at 9:29 pm — Reply

You too, eh? For me, it’s not even that so much as the deadbeat dad part. The ending is at least open to interpretation (my mom doesn’t think Superman intends to try and get Lois back, just to be a father to his son; I disagree). But there’s no question that Superman took off for Krypton and chickened out of even saying goodbye to the woman he’d knocked up.

In fact, this just occurred to me now — he knew he’d knocked her up! He’s Superman! Unless he took off the instant Superman II ended, his super-senses would have noticed differences in Lois very quickly. Enough, surely, to make him wonder. Even if he suddenly decided using his X-ray vision on her would be wrong, he would have no excuse by the fourth week or so, when he’d start hearing two heartbeats.

This suggests — nay, demands — a different interpretation. Superman wasn’t originally planning to go check out Krypton at all. (It blew up! Even if there were survivors, why would they still be there?) But then he twigged to the existence of Lois’s little bundle of joy… and suddenly discovered an urgent need to investigate his home planet’s debris. The pregnancy will probably kill her anyway, so why stay and watch? Up, up and away!

2. Brainlock
    June 10, 2010 at 2:06 pm — Reply

didn’t we already know this, thanks to Temuera Morrison (Abin Sur) mentioning returning for a sequel a few weeks ago?

and I guess this means Mattel isn’t “holding off” on the (not so secret) GL Classics line to “wait and see how well the box office preforms”, now? yeahbuhwha?

• June 10, 2010 at 9:31 pm — Reply

Abin Sur is returning?

Is his ghost gonna tell Hal to go to the Dagobah system, or what?

3. Greg A
    June 10, 2010 at 2:27 pm — Reply

Perhaps it is me, however, I would be much happier if the filmmakers would concentrate on the first film and worry about a franchise later.

4. Bob