As the Marvel movies continue to build to The Avengers event, the studio continues to seek actors to join the cast.  Jeremy Renner is in final negotiations to join The Avengers cast as Hawkeye, the bow-and-arrow hero.

Renner will join Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man/Tony Stark, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Chris Evans as Captain America, Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Don Cheadle as War Machine.

I still contend that The Hulk will be a part of the movie, but the company continues to deny the involvement – at least until they can get a confirmation from Ed Norton.  We should know if Renner ends up as Hawkeye soon.

via THR

Marvel Sneak Peek: Secret Avengers #2

Major Spoilers Adventures #46: Survey Says?

1. Jim
    June 4, 2010 at 9:54 am — Reply

I’ve only seen Renner in “The Hurt Locker” but he was very good in that, playing a cocky but damaged warrior, so Hawkeye seems a good fit. I wonder how the design of the character will look. Hawkeye is one character whose 616 and Ultimate costumes are vastly different (esp. in the beginning).

The point about the Hulk is interesting. I don’t think it’s really necessary to have him in the lineup since despite being an “original” Avenger, he was only on the team for a few issues. I would still like to see them use Ant-Man or Giant-Man, though.

2. Brother129
    June 4, 2010 at 11:22 am — Reply

Perfect. Josh Holloway would have been the next great choice.
    I heard a rumor that David Duchovny would play Hulk/Bruce Banner in this film….

3. June 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm — Reply

When I read this I thought, “Wow, what a perfect casting choice.” It never would have dawned on me beforehand, but this just makes a lot of sense.

• Dboy Mugg
      June 4, 2010 at 3:42 pm — Reply

^^Agreed. It IS a great choice…and I never would I have guessed it either. Renner was awesome in SWAT too.

4. Astro Dinosaurus
    June 4, 2010 at 5:31 pm — Reply

Info dump.

He was actually connected to the role quite a while ago. But it kinda went nowhere.
    Which made me sad because like most on here I though of him as a perfect fit. But then suddenly Joss Whedon is in talks to direct The Avengers. And if you didn’t know Renner had a pretty badass one episode role in Angel. This could all be coincidence but I like to think its all connected. Perfect fit is all I can say really. And I really hope this means we are going to see Nathan Fillion doing Hank Pym as well.

Inb4 Whedon bashing ;)

5. thelastavenger
    June 5, 2010 at 3:49 am — Reply

i’m just glad that it is confirmed that hawkeye is in the avengers movie.

6. Stephen
    June 5, 2010 at 9:49 am — Reply

Yeah, Whedon is really big on people who have done good work for him before – I really respect that. So is this proof that Downey Jr will (despite a useless scene in HIS OWN MOVIE) be in the Avengers movie?

7. Damascus
    June 6, 2010 at 6:30 pm — Reply

I actually really like this news, I liked him on the short lived tv series The Unusuals too. He could really play this part. I do feel like they need Ant Man and Wasp though, more than even War Machine and Black Widow (although I do like those characters and Scarlett Johannsen=Whoa Momma!)