The intro for the new CBS Hawaii Five-O series is making the rounds this morning.  While I’m interested in seeing how the series lives up to the original, I’m slightly disappointed in the updated theme music and the CSI feeling graphics in this open, but am very pleased knowing that Grace Park is in the series.

If you are so inclined, take the jump and take a gander at the original opening from 1968.

New Megamind trailer hits

Comic-Con Episode Four: A Fan's Hope gets heavy hitters

1. Brian G.
    May 21, 2010 at 8:09 am — Reply

I’m just happy that Daniel Dae Kim is in it. But I have to admit, Grace Park is definately a draw for me to watch the show now!

2. Frank
    May 21, 2010 at 8:46 am — Reply

The intro is pretty good, but the original was timeless. It might be worth watching, especially for Kim and Grace.

• Brent
      May 21, 2010 at 3:20 pm — Reply

And yet Kim and Park are relegated to sidekicks…with Hawai’i as the setting, mind you. Heaven forbid a native Hawai’ian (or someone playing one) be the absolute lead.

3. Mike Keller
    May 21, 2010 at 10:59 am — Reply

I recall my shock when the ‘Tom Baker’ Dr. Who opening went a little ‘electronica’. But now, decades later I am actually nostalgic for both versions. If the new tune is reflective of the new tone, I dont mind. It’s time American TV grew up a little more.

• May 21, 2010 at 11:05 am — Reply

Hmm… I want to buy her some food and maybe a jacket. Does this mean that I’m old?

• TaZ
        May 21, 2010 at 11:31 am — Reply

Hawaii 5-0. Dear Heaven is there nothing sacred anymore…

• Brian G.
          May 21, 2010 at 12:29 pm — Reply

“No. It just means that you’re like most American males who actually prefer a woman that won’t break in half if you put your hand around her waist. I’ve been happily married for a long time but I have to wonder about those whose idea of hot is a gal that looks like she just got out of puberty…I’m just sayin’…”

I think that tv and hollywood would disagree with you. I especially think that anyone who drooled over Scarlet Johanson in Ironman 2 would disagree with you. I have an incrible girl on my arm who is slightly older than me but looks much younger. Mrs. Park has the same problem apparently, considering she will be celebrating her 40th birthday in a few short years. So the big question is: what do you wonder about me? I’d be happy to answer for you.

• Brian G.
            May 21, 2010 at 1:06 pm — Reply

Typo *incredible*

4. Jim
    May 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm — Reply

I love the Ventures – surf rock at its finest and one of the best TV theme songs ever. Nice that they kept it but a pale imitation.

5. arcee
    May 21, 2010 at 4:54 pm — Reply

It’s gonna take some getting used to. As Frank posted, the original is timeless. What I remember about the old series was the McGarrett was “someone you didn’t want to meet in a dark alley” which is old school for a serious ass-kicker.

I hope they don’t forget that aspect in this more PC world.

Also, I’m hoping for the sidekicks to get their character highlight episodes and that they will be more than “blink or you’ll miss them” props as in the original series.

I know that in the old days, if you were the main star of the show people tuned in to see…well…the main star but nowadays it’s accepted to ‘spread the wealth’ and I believe healthier for story lines and the show overall.

• Mike Keller
      May 25, 2010 at 3:47 pm — Reply

Hmm, I never really thought of Steve McGarrett quite that way. Mebbe cause he always wore a suit? Now Shemar Moore in Criminal Minds looks like he could and would kiek one’s butt.

6. May 22, 2010 at 9:42 am — Reply

The visuals are fine on the new intro. They even keep some of the same shots. The music, however, is a far cry from the original. The new one seems underwhelming. It reminds me of when video games really hit big and they had a very “tangy” electronic sound to them. The original, with the heavy drums and brass, really grabbed the viewer, got the blood flowing, and prepared them for the episode.