ABC plans to one up the now dead Heroes, and hopefully give a smack to the face of The Cape with their own super hero themed television series, No Ordinary Family.

The Powells are about to go from ordinary to extraordinary. After 16 years of marriage, Jim and Stephanie’s relationship lacks the spark it once had, and their family life now consists of balancing work and their two children, leaving little time for family bonding. During a family vacation set up by Jim in an attempt to reconnect, their plane crashes into the Amazon River. But this is where the fun starts for the Powells, as they soon discover that something’s not quite right. Each of them now possesses unique and distinct superpowers. But saving and savoring their family life will be equally important, as they try to find purpose for their new powers and embark on a journey to find out what defines and unifies them. The Powells are a totally relatable family who happen to be a little bit amazing.

Take the jump for the trailer, that doesn’t look awful.

Michael Chiklis (The Shield) stars as Jim Powell, Julie Benz (Dexter) as Stephanie Powell, Romany Malco (The 40-Year-Old Virgin) as George St. Cloud, Tate Donovan (Damages) as Mitch McCutcheon, Autumn Reeser as Katie Andrews, Christina Chang as Yvonne Cho, Kay Panabaker as Daphne Powell and Jimmy Bennett as JJ Powell.

The pilot was written and executive-produced by Jon Feldman. The series is executive-produced by Feldman, Greg Berlanti, Morgan Wandell and David Semel, who also directed the pilot. Joe Hartwick, Jr. serves as producer. No Ordinary Family is from ABC Studios.

Dynamite Entertainment acquire Chaos! Comics library

Art Appreciation Moment of the Day: Ivan Reis and David Finch

1. Brian G.
    May 20, 2010 at 2:02 pm — Reply

So this is the “Fantastic Four meets the Incredibles/Fantastic Four meets the Fantastic Four” show that was mentioned in the last Podcast. It could be good. But the real truth is that because of shows like Heroes, WE are the winners because now studios are creating more programing like this for us to enjoy.

2. Brother129
    May 20, 2010 at 2:16 pm — Reply

Wow…so they cast a couple of my favorite actors from The O.C., Weeds, and Damages!!! I’m already interested. Too bad I can’t watch the trailer at work….freakin’ Mozilla Firefox!

3. Bryan
    May 20, 2010 at 2:35 pm — Reply

I’m in. :) Wow ABC hasn’t gotten me watching a scripted show of theirs in a long time.

4. Astrodinosaurus
    May 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm — Reply

Looks much less cringe-tastic than the Cape. And I do like the fact that an actor who has portrayed Ben Grimm is playing a Bob Parr-esq character. Its all circular people…

5. May 20, 2010 at 4:00 pm — Reply

With Lost on its way out this weekend, this can take its place. Plus Julie Benz is freaking hot. She’ll be missed on Dexter but at least she’ll be on this new show. Just hope it’ll stick around for a little while.

6. MaximusRift
    May 20, 2010 at 7:52 pm — Reply

I can’t believe you people are raggin’ on “The Cape”, but have no qualms about this show. Don’t get me wrong,; I loved the trailer. However, I don’t see the immediate difference between this and “The Cape” other than the costumes. I liked both equally and look forward to both.

I just don’t get what is making everybody cringe about “The Cape”.

• Astrodinosaurus
      May 20, 2010 at 8:08 pm — Reply

I shall try to answer you!

The Cape has a tone which does not fit with the premise. It takes itself too seriously and comes of ridiculous. The superhero bases himself on a comic that only exists in the shows reality…Meta in a baaad way. It didn’t show me a mystery I would like to know the answer to, it didn’t make me smile or laugh and it didn’t include anything I found cool…It just had no apparent appeal wrapped in a Cape and comic-tropes…And a tone I couldn’t get into

No ordinary family made me smile and looks like something I could enjoy with my younger siblings…It has that “Doctor Who” factor.

7. Mike Keller
    May 21, 2010 at 11:07 am — Reply

I gotta love Julie Benz ‘he’s touching me!’ expression in that photo.

8. May 21, 2010 at 11:18 am — Reply

That looks TOTALLY WICKED!!

9. May 21, 2010 at 2:23 pm — Reply

Oh great, besides the father, it seems more of the “i didn’t ask for these powers! I just want to be normal!” Ugh. Ditch the kids, and it looks okay, but would writers please, please stop doing that stupid premise?

10. Wil
    May 23, 2010 at 12:57 pm — Reply

Haven’t been watching ABC since “Life on Mars” was canned. “Castle”, “V”, and now this one…I’m in. Looks fun. Not a fan of “Lost” nor “Heroes” so no real loss there. Speaking of NBC, “The Cape” looks ok and I like the concept of the cape itself and could be a surprise hit(maybe) but this one called “The Event” looks real interesting at first but may lose its luster real fast. “Chuck” is the only thing remotely interesting on NBC for me. USA’s “Burn Notice” is still the best show out there and congrats on it going to its 4th season and beyond.