Marvel sent out this promo image for the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man #623, that arrives on stands this week.

“Peter Parker’s been through some rough times lately, with all of his deadliest foes returning, and he couldn’t lose his job at a worse time” said Senior Editor Steve Wacker in a prepared statement. “He’s going to struggle with unemployment and trying to save the city while he can barely afford to keep a roof over his head.”

Everyone’s favorite friendly neighborhood hero has to not only survive key arch nemesis Vulture’s reign of terror…but also losing his job at the Mayor’s office! Peter Parker lays it all on the line to protect J. Jonah Jameson and keep the city from ripping itself apart, but Peter’s sacrifice winds up costing his career as a photographer.

But when you can’t pay the bills, how’s a Super Hero supposed to buy web-fluid and fix his costume? Spider-Man’s about to learn that with great power and great responsibility comes the great need to be employed — which isn’t so easy when you’re blacklisted in New York City!

via Marvel

Beware of the Batman!

I am a New Avenger

1. Darksbane
    March 1, 2010 at 1:01 pm — Reply

Yawn, oh noes Peter has money problems, never read a story like that before…

2. TaZ
    March 1, 2010 at 1:36 pm — Reply

He will also have halitosis (chronic), massive hangnails, impotence, depression, shingles, hives, diverticulitis, chronic migraines, be the victim of identity fraud, have the accelerator on his Toyota-made Spider-mobile (remember that?) stuck and be forced to watch The Miz wrestle in the main event of Wrestlemania. On second thought, having the Miz be in the main event of Wrestlemain would be too much suffering for anyone, including Parker.

So, apparently the “Heroic Age” is Parker slumming like he did when he ended up rooming with Flash Thompson back when I still had a learner’s permit? I second Darksbane’s “YAWN!”.

3. Brent
    March 1, 2010 at 3:41 pm — Reply

Yep, a return to a past paradigm is afoot. I immediately recognized that black sweater Parker is wearing from SUPERMAN vs. The AMAZING SPIDER-MAN circa 1976. He may have worn it on other occaisions, but that’s the specific book I remember it from. That, plus the double spit curl hairdo makes hearkens back to old school Spidey.

4. Gibralter
    March 1, 2010 at 4:10 pm — Reply

And this is why I don’t read Spider-man anymore.

5. steviecool
    March 1, 2010 at 5:11 pm — Reply

It’s not really a gauntlet until he gets an STD from the Black Cat.

But seriously, he can’t get an Avengers stipend? There’s going to be 243 teams in a few months.

• TaZ
      March 1, 2010 at 6:47 pm — Reply

Nope. He’s going to be a Secret Avenger and they only get paid with secret money.

I guess it’s a question that only a country boy like me would ask but it’s kind of like the late comedian Sam Kinison asked about people in areas that were starving in Africa. “Why don’t they MOVE TO SOMEWHERE THAT THERE’S FOOD???” If you’re blacklisted in NYC why wouldn’t you move to somewhere you weren’t blacklisted?

• MaximusRift
        March 1, 2010 at 8:21 pm — Reply

Yeah. Let Spidey go to Chicago, become a Cubs fan and say on live TV that deep dish is better than thin crust. ;p

6. MaximusRift
    March 1, 2010 at 8:27 pm — Reply

Is this really Waid’s idea? Kinda looks like the old addage of “The more things change…” applies to Spider Man.

Maybe this is a secret plot to make people read Boom! Studios more.
    Waid : “What’s that? You want me to make Spidey stories like the ones when you were a kid. Sure…No Problem… Mhuahahahahahahaha!!” ;p

7. Crash
    March 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm — Reply

Wait, I thought Peter was working for Front Line now? IDK. I can’t keep up with Spidey anymore. Nor do i want to. Spider-Man went from being one of my favorite, to my absolute favorite, and then One More Day came around and crushed my childhood. Spidey is now near the end of my list.

8. Carl
    March 4, 2010 at 11:32 am — Reply

Let’s not forget, he’s also a qualified teacher.