What’s better than one image of Zatanna drawn by Dustin Nguyen?  How about four images of Zatanna…

I like that Nguyen is featuring the magical heroine in her various costumes through the ages.

(Click for larger image)
(Click for larger image)

Zatanna sketches for the man who likes Zatanna. done inside the front cover and first page of an 11 x 14 sketchbook to kick it off.

i always realize it about half way thru sketchbooks, everytime- but watercolor is not the best idea for 20lb sketchbook paper. i tried to mix the paint a bit denser to cut down on absorption and blot along the way, but the paper did end up warping a bit.

via Deviant Art

Review: Athena #4 (of 4)

Wizard World returns to Texas as Austin Comic-Con

1. Navarre
    January 6, 2010 at 3:35 pm — Reply

That’s very nice. I like Dustin’s art.

I still remember the second costume, mostly. I’m so dated.

2. brainypirate
    January 6, 2010 at 4:30 pm — Reply

I much prefer the second costume — always have — don’t know why they didn’t keep it…. (But at least he didn’t draw the catsuit & ponytail outfit she had when she joined the JLA! Blech!)

3. eric
    January 7, 2010 at 12:32 am — Reply

Yes, if Didio is reading why not have the second outfit when she is with the JLA with more modern boots and have the current outfit when she is doing her day job. Why does she have to be wearing those borrowed Black Cannary fishnets when she is home learning new spells? How bout show heros in real clothes when they are in the confines of their own abode? How about this: if they can get WW to be numbered back to 600 lets send post cards to Didio to get the second old Zatana costume back.

• brainypirate
      January 8, 2010 at 11:10 am — Reply

Zatanna strikes me as the type of heroine who would wear trousers, not a leotard & tights. She’s not the magician’s assistant any more — why does she still dress like one?

4. Brian
    January 7, 2010 at 8:04 am — Reply

I always hated the costume from Identity Crisis. Never felt like a good fit for her.

But I’ll always love Dustin’s art because when I met him at WWP, he was such a nice guy. There was a Superman/Batman panel and sadly only a handful of people showed up. Dustin was there and it was a very intimate talk with him and Ed Berganza and Bob Wayne. By the end of the panel everyone felt like it was a one on one experience. Then as i was leaving the convention that day, I was going through the exit and held the door (so the person behind me didn’t get smacked in the face) and it turned out to be Dustin. I can’t remember what he said but he remembered me from the panel and said something that just solidified in my memory that he’s the nicest man in the business.

Oh and P.s. (Dustin if you read this … I agree with you. If Jim Lee can give Killer Croc a tail than you should be able to also.)

5. January 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm — Reply

> “There was a Superman/Batman panel and sadly only a handful of people showed up.”

Really? You mean I’m not the only one who finds these characters over-exposed to the point not wanting to read them ever again???