Paramount’s upcoming adaptation of Frank Herbert’s Dune has found a director in Pierre Morel.  Previously Pete Berg was helming the mega-epic story set on the desert planet Arrakis, but stepped down when he went over to Universal’s Battleship flick.  While Morel has signed to direct, the movie studio is currently looking for a writer to pen the adaptation.

via THR

Bluewater Productions Sneak Peek

Red 5 Comics Sneak Peek of the Week

1. TheTaken
    January 5, 2010 at 10:00 am — Reply

hrm…I love all things Dune but can we really expect them to surpass the greatness that was david lynch and geiger? Besides I think Sting is too old to play the young Harkonen (Feyd?). Please, please don’t let Brian Herbert or Kevin Anderson anywhere near this script.

That picture/banner is particularly phallic, nice choice!

2. January 5, 2010 at 10:18 am — Reply

The problem is getting something as dense as the novel into a movie less than 6 hours long. Lynch’s movie was an excellent attempt. There was also a 2-parter? on the sci-fi channel a few years back. I’m suprised that this is in the works. Maybe they think there is a new audience for it with all the big-budget hits in the last few years. I don’t see Dune as being fast paced action, but much thinking, with a dense plot. Maybe on par with “Watchmen”? Oops, I shouldn’t have said that.

3. E
    January 5, 2010 at 12:01 pm — Reply

I hope they wont turn Paul into a badd ass 300 reject like Perseus in the new shock of the titan.

4. Dan Hunter
    January 5, 2010 at 1:12 pm — Reply

Is it me or is the Dune book cover quite rude?

• January 5, 2010 at 1:17 pm — Reply

What’ the problem with it? It’s a giant sandworm jumping through the sand…

• Dan Hunter
        January 5, 2010 at 1:23 pm — Reply

I thought it was one of those magic eye pictures, and I see something completely different ;-D

5. January 5, 2010 at 2:40 pm — Reply

How come this book gets like 6,000 movie adaptations, and yet NOT ONE about the Planet Mogo?

Shameful. Anyway, David Lynch’s version was sweet. The SciFi one boooooring. Learn from Watchmen- you don’t need absolute source fidelity to make a great movie. Just make a great movie!!!

If you want fidelity, do a short story like “The Sentinel” by A.C.C- which became a little known movie- “2001”…

+++++

6. Indomitable
    January 5, 2010 at 3:23 pm — Reply

It’s got a big following (because it’s a great book). As a fan of the book though, I’m thinking this one should be left on the shelf, rather than made into a film. So much of the genius of the book takes place in people’s heads, or is written as background narration, that it just doesn’t translate to film. If you leave out the “less cinematic” elements, you loose a lot of what makes the novel so engaging for so many people.

At best I’d say that an HBO mini-series, akin to Band of Brothers, might come close to doing this justice, but as a film, it just is never going to measure up. ( Your mileage may vary, I said much the same about LOTR.)