Blackest Night has been raging for several months now, and since we are almost at the half-way point, it’s time to reflect on the series so far.

What do you think of DC's Blackest Night event so far?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Review: Anchor #3

Thor writers pen vampire flick script

1. morpheus
    December 15, 2009 at 12:16 pm — Reply

I have been liking Blackest Night, but it hasn’t been on the top of my read list. Don’t get me wrong there isn’t anything that I have read that I didn’t like. But the major impact of certain moments haven’t hit me has hard since I don’t know a lot about DC titles or history. The big reveal of Necron as the source of the Black Lanterns didn’t make me go “OH!” b/c I don’t know much (or anything) about Necron. That hasn’t made me not like the series, but it has moved it below some of the things I am more familiar with.

2. December 15, 2009 at 1:19 pm — Reply

I haven’t bought this, though it does seem well done. I guess I’m just burnt out on all these events. What I really would like to see a whole issue of a character saving a cat from a tree. Go to the beach. Something that doesn’t involve the town/city/planet/universe blowing up and stuff.

3. Greg A
    December 15, 2009 at 2:38 pm — Reply

On the surface this has all of the elements that should appeal to me (Cosmic epic, zombies), and yet it just isn’t quite clicking for me. I think it might be stretched a bit too thin. The Sinestro Corp War worked better for me when it was featured primarly in the main Green Lantern titles with a handful of one-shot tie-ins.

I read somewhere Geoff Johns likened The Sinestro Corp War to The Empire Strikes Back, which would make Blackest Night the Green Lantern version of Return of the Jedi. Perhaps, I am concerned some Ewoks are going to pop up.

4. Brian
    December 15, 2009 at 3:04 pm — Reply

easily the best comic on shelves right now. I know it’s not a hard title to hold considering much of comics today suck but this comic shows us how comics should be done.

5. lifeisaglitch
    December 15, 2009 at 3:41 pm — Reply

I’m inclined to agree with Greg. And I also like “Dark Reign” so you know there’s something wrong with me. To tell the truth I just feel like a lot of nothing is happening to a lot of character I don’t really care about….which can be said about all cross-overs if you happen to ask the right person.

• Greg A
      December 15, 2009 at 3:56 pm — Reply

I think Dark Reign vs. Blackest Night is a bit of a false comparison. Dark Reign, even though there have been tie-in minis, is more of a status quo change where Blackest Night is a by the numbers Crossover Event.

To be fair, I’m not feeling the anticipation for the upcoming Siege Crossover Event. Perhaps a good rule of thumb should be, if you need to create a checklist to keep things straight, it might be worth missing.

6. December 15, 2009 at 3:53 pm — Reply

Generally, I dislike zombie comics. Even with the occassional bits of black humor, they just seem like an excuse to have loads of gorn. But for some reason, I am loving “Blackest Night”. I don’t know if it’s because I’m a DC fan and this has the promise of resurrecting every character I missed, if it’s because I’ve skipped most recent events outside of “Legion of 3 Worlds”, or if it’s because it’s the first zombie story I’ve seen where the zombies are smart & there’s a decent emotional core. It’s the first event I can remember since I started reading 15 years ago that I’m genuinely, totally enjoying.

• ~wyntermute~
      December 15, 2009 at 5:22 pm — Reply

See, I {hate the gorn + love DC + miss a bunch of the resurrected characters} too (I just used mathemenglish!), and yet find significant pieces of this to be “Oooohh. I’m back from the dead… *TOoorrrmmeennnt… twiiist-the-knife… blame… defile!!*. Rinse. Repeat.” Now that Nekron’s revival seems to have changed the Black Lantern “mission parameters”, hopefully the general “I blame YOUUUU” tone will change as well. ^_^

7. jwcraw
    December 15, 2009 at 4:06 pm — Reply

Somewhere in between it’s good, but not the top of my stack and loving every minute of it.

8. Ricco
    December 15, 2009 at 7:07 pm — Reply

I had high hopes after the Sinestro Corps War and I’m happy to say the series hasn’t let me down yet, every new issue is better then the last and the fact you don’t have to read all the tie-ins is a big plus. Just read Blackest Night and the Green Lantern books and you’re set, the rest is gravy/vegetables(Batman tie-in was iffy).

It has something that bothered me in Sinestro Corps War: tie-ins, the whole world is at war against an army of fear powered maniacs yet it has no impact on other comics? Not even to stablish a time line? Big events need tie-ins to be, well, big!

9. December 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm — Reply

This series in interesting enough that I’m reading the tie-ins in the titles I don’t normally read.

10. Vamuli
    December 16, 2009 at 8:06 am — Reply

I was liking it a lot when it started but slowly I have stopped caring about it and might end up dropping it completely.

11. TheTaken
    December 16, 2009 at 12:42 pm — Reply

Good but not the top of my stack:

Im not a big DC reader, only shallowly familiar with DC continuity. I find Blackest Night fun but it hasn’t hit me emotionally like Sinestro Corps War. Not sure why, but I dont feel very connected to the characters or story. Maybe its because there are so many characters involved? I think the shock and awe of the possibility of multiple lantern corps has worn off from Sinestro Corp Wars and leaves Blackest Night as a zombie tale that feels a little flat to me.