What will happen to Roy Harper now that he’s missing a limb?  (Didn’t read Cry For Justice, did you?)  DC has announced two new books for 2010 that examine the fallout from the Justice League: Cry for Justice storyline.

Written by J.T. Krul: JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE RISE AND FALL #1, will bridges the gap between JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRY FOR JUSTICE, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA  and the upcoming JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE RISE OF ARSENAL four-issue mini-series. Concurrently, readers of the ongoing GREEN ARROW series will deal with the fallout in a storyline titled “The Fall of Green Arrow,” starting with issue #31.

“I was super fortunate to be able to play a role in BLACKEST NIGHT, and I have to say I’m even more excited — if that’s possible — about being able to take on Roy Harper and Green Arrow as their stories spill out of Cry For Justice. James has been building to a monster climax in his book, and no two characters will be as changed as much as Roy and Ollie. And, the story isn’t even over yet. The title RISE and FALL says it all in terms of where these characters are headed. It’s going to be a dark and tragic road for both them and I’m hoping readers will be hooked by where Ollie and Roy come out in the end.”

And here I thought Black Canary and Green Arrow were living happily ever after following last year’s big wedding event…

You can read more of J.T. Krul’s interview at IGN.

Predator bike guarantees open lanes on the highway

Iron Man 2 poster features Whiplash

1. December 11, 2009 at 9:45 am — Reply

Beautiful picture — but I’m bothered by the stained-glass “saints” in the background. Is it simply a clever way to add a layer of meaning to the picture? Or does it indicate something more about the way religion is used in/by comics these days?

I was bothered by the Trinity series for the way it cast three mortals as the metaphysical glue of the universe. I don’t particularly want to see most of these characters turned into modern-day saints — heroes as replacements for religion.

• Brent
      December 11, 2009 at 2:39 pm — Reply

Is Wonder Woman considered to be a “mortal”?

2. usagi
    December 11, 2009 at 10:09 am — Reply

I was really disappointed with the decision to rip Roy’s arm off in JL:CFJ. Over the last couple of years in JL Roy had become a much more interesting character, and now we just mutilate him for cheap shock value. Oh, even better, if you read between the lines Roy will now go ‘dark & gritty’ as a reaction to his injury. Very, very disappointing.

• Brent
      December 11, 2009 at 2:50 pm — Reply

One-armed Roy = (one armed)Green Arrow from Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns.

There are several examples of graphic novels coming to pass on New Earth (Earth Zero or whatever you call the main DCU). Jason Todd (and now Tim Drake)as Red Robin is tweaked from Kingdom Come, for example.

• December 11, 2009 at 8:18 pm — Reply

One-armed Roy gets robot arm bristling with weapons, and KABLAMMICUS!

Arsenal Reborn!

• Brent
          December 17, 2009 at 4:21 pm — Reply

If he is going back to codename Arsenal already, then what was the “Red Arrow” phase/exercise about?

• December 17, 2009 at 8:05 pm — Reply

Brad Meltzer.

3. Steamblade
    December 11, 2009 at 10:19 am — Reply

Seeing as how I find religion to be about a real as comic books, symbolize away! Given a choice, I’d rather worship Batman, anyway.

4. Navarre
    December 11, 2009 at 10:44 am — Reply

There has already been a very good podcast discussion of how heroes relate to mythology and even religion.

As for Roy, it does seem a bit heavy-handed (no pun intended) for this to happen to him.

5. applejack1310
    December 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm — Reply

Why is he wearing the Smallville costume…?

• December 11, 2009 at 1:54 pm — Reply

I noticed that, but then thought maybe the comics had followed suit (ba-dum-dum) and I just hadn’t noticed.

Either way, I like the outfit, both on TV and in the comics. It’s a great example of how to update the trunk-and-tights look in the manner of the X-Men movies without losing all the color (as the X-Men did by going all black).

At this point, I’m more interested in the design of the characters than in their storylines. I never cared for dark-and-gritty Batman (I’m hoping when he comes back, he’s much happier), so I don’t want to see that style taking over the 2nd-tier heroes.

And I agree with Ollie and Dinah staying together — if they’ve been married for a year, what is that in comic book time: 1 month? Let them stay married for 10 years and show all the dynamics of a hero marriage first — there have to be plenty of great stories about that!

6. December 11, 2009 at 1:44 pm — Reply

I’m starting to think that the writers/editors of the Big 2 want to make everyone be as dark as Batman if not darker. It’s also gonna p1$$ me off if Dinah and Ollie break up. It’s been only a year since the marriage, right?

I can roll with most change, but some of this seems like their changing it just because it’s change. If this is going to be the trend along with “everything has to be dark like Batman”, then they can stop counting on my money. I’ll just stick with “Vengeance of Moon Knight” and “Incorruptable”.

• December 11, 2009 at 8:17 pm — Reply

Ummm… ‘Vengeance of the Moon Knight’ isn’t dark like Batman? Maybe I need to read that book. :)

• December 15, 2009 at 7:05 am — Reply

Hey, at least he’s trying to dig himself out of the hole he made. ;)

I like the new Moon Knight because it’s more of a redemption story. He f’ed up and now he’s trying to do better. I know it’s not “sunshine and gumdrops”, but at the very least it’s not a “falling from grace” story. That alone, to me, makes it less dark that most current comics.

That said, I will ditch this if it turns too depressing.