DC Comics announced the big Superman event coming in 2010 has the tension between Earth and New Krypton reaching the boiling point and spilling over into… wait for it… War of the Supermen.

“WAR OF THE SUPERMEN is the culmination of literally years of stories in the Super-books, all building to a destructive conflict which can have no victors. This Free Comic Book Day #0 issue is going to show the readers that no cows are sacred, and that they don’t want to miss this event.”

The series will be written by James Robinson and artist Eddy Barrows.  The Free Comic Book Day #0 issue arrives May 1, 2010.

via The Source

Art Appreciation Moment of the Day: Dustin Nguyen

Major Spoilers Podcast #158: The Marvel Zombies Podcast

1. Jacin B
    December 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm — Reply

I’m pretty well over Alex Ross, I think. The novelty has worn off.

• Jacin B
      December 8, 2009 at 4:12 pm — Reply

Hold the presses: The cover was apparently done by J.G. Jones. I’m over him, too.

2. J Michael T
    December 8, 2009 at 4:53 pm — Reply

Please please let this turn into a huge cross-over event… Not!

3. Dan Hunter
    December 8, 2009 at 5:16 pm — Reply

Wait-a-minute, he no look like Christopher Reeves..

4. lifeisaglitch
    December 8, 2009 at 5:18 pm — Reply

And the Kryptonians were all like: BLaaAAHaha!

5. Dave
    December 8, 2009 at 5:29 pm — Reply

Lordy, I’m worried about this…and crazy me I collect and sorta like the Superman books! Three reasons:

1) Yeah, I sorta like it, but we all know Robinson’s whole storyline is moving too slow over too many books. Maybe it’s a great novel…but serializing it over a year in four books in a weakening if not dying medium during a bad economy? Yikes.

2) Robinson’s work, while ok, underwhelms compared to his Starman run.

3) The lukewarm sales of all things Robinson. To hand him the keys to your big event book – not to mention Justice League, DC’s alleged “flagship” title – well…it just seems to be a gameplan for disaster.

6. December 8, 2009 at 6:17 pm — Reply

You think this is the event where we go back to square one in the Superman story.

7. Ricco
    December 8, 2009 at 6:45 pm — Reply

This is the logical next step in the story, but I’m afraid on how it going to be done.

8. Brent
    December 8, 2009 at 6:57 pm — Reply

My interest level depends on whether this story is about a war AGAINST Kryptonians or a war AMONG Kryptonians, or just a “to do list” to clean up continuity and/or restore recent changes in the status quo.

In any case “War of the Supermen” is an underwhelming name for a crossover event. Must there be one so soon? How ’bout an extended period of simply good stories, good art, with an occaisional nod to the larger DCU, but not a crossover.

That said, if this is the event that allows Kal El to finally get rid of those red drawers, then I’m in.

9. Steve
    December 8, 2009 at 9:50 pm — Reply

Moderately interested despite the fact I had to drop my one Superman title recently because A) I refuse to buy the other books just to understand what is going on there and 2) it sucks hard…

10. December 8, 2009 at 11:05 pm — Reply

I work at METROPOLIS Comics in Bellflower, Ca., so how can I not do anything else but hope that this will be great? ;-)

11. James
    December 9, 2009 at 5:46 am — Reply

And we also see by this that Superman recovers from becoming a black lantern. I’m really curious how they’re going to manage to wrap Blackest Night up without reverting the DCU status quo.

12. December 11, 2009 at 7:36 am — Reply

Attack of the Amazons

War of the Supermen

What’s next? Fight of the Flashes?

Seems like a way to kill/depower/shunt to an alternate dimension or Phantom Zone all the Kryptonians and get back to Supergirl and Superman (and sometimes Power Girl) being the only surviving Kryptonians. Also, seems almost like an episode of JLU.

I called it. Let see how it turns out. But I will have to read about it here at Major Spoilers, because there is no way I am going anywhere near this thing. I’ll wait patiently for the Earth-One books to come out.